Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea-c-pap User Get Discount On Elect..bill

Rate this question

Maurice

Question

Happy Easter Veterans, A disable veteran told me that Sleep Apnea-C-Pap user can get a form from the VAMC to get a discount on Elect.Bill for C-Pap machine user. Is that true? I'm going to call the VAMC in Washington,DC for information about this matter on April 13,2009. Do anyone know if this is true? Happy Easter

Edited by Maurice

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Yes, this is a true statement. Check with your local gas and electric company. Usualyy the procedure is to fill out a "Medical Baseline" form (to obtain a medical baseline allowance) and have your physician sign the form. Once mailed to the electric/power company, they will authorize a certain amount of killowatts per day. I know San Diego authorizes 16.5 kWh and 0.822 therms per day. There are several conditions, not just C-Paps. Nebulizers for asthmatics, and several other conditions.

Is anyone in a program like this in South Carolina?

My wife and I were talking about this three weeks ago and seemed like the Gas and Electric should do something like this. We called SCE&G and they say they don't know anything but it's our responsibiltiy. My wife prescribed oxygen 24/7 and using a oxygen concentrator for the home use also on the CPAP and I am on CPAP, we called SCE&G they acted like they knew but wouldn't say. Does anyone know in SC? I've searched online and on SCE&G's website but don't really see anything.

Thanks.

It will depend on one of two things

1. state law 2. Electric company.

I live in Georgia and couldn't get diddly from the electric company ( on oxygen 24/7)

Texas also won't give me any break....

The both said if I get a letter of medical need, that if I don't pay my bill they legally can't turn off the juice. Other than that no help.

It will depend on one of two things

1. state law 2. Electric company.

I live in Georgia and couldn't get diddly from the electric company ( on oxygen 24/7)

Texas also won't give me any break....

The both said if I get a letter of medical need, that if I don't pay my bill they legally can't turn off the juice. Other than that no help.

If the power company gives you adequate warning, which is longer than normal customers, they can make a request to do so. The life line for those who need power for special equiptment does not let you not pay your bill indeffinately, it's only a safe guard that your power is not cut off without direct notification so you can have the time to make other arrangements.

But like one said, it differs from state to state and possibly even by county, since not every county in a state uses the same power Co.

At least in my area, you have to pay your bill or make some type of payment schedule, but like I said, if you can't pay, they will eventualy get legal permission to turn off your power.

Rockhound Rider ;)