Rate this question

ddm39142002navy

Question

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Why are VA raters encouraged to diagnose adjustment disorder instead of PTSD? Adjustment disorder seems to me to suggest that the disorder is temporary while PTSD is more permanent and more serious.

"adjustment disorder" is the preferred diagnosis by the VA, for it is much easier for them to say that it existed prior to service, and MUCH harder for you to prove that it didn't..........and it makes it MUCH harder for you to "convert" their diagnosis FROM "adjustment disorder" to the correct diagnosis of "PTSD", it's also MUCH harder for them to say that your PTSD existed PRIOR to service......'specially if you got the "proven stressor" to prove it.

Edited by LarryJ

................and all this time I thought that an "adjustment disorder" was when I have trouble getting my Sleep Comfort bed dialed in to my favorite setting.

Ohhh, I thought "adjustment disorder" was what Rappers had. Why else would they grab their crotch like that all the time?

Ohhh, I thought "adjustment disorder" was what Rappers had. Why else would they grab their crotch like that all the time?

That would involve special compensation for loss of the creative organ from overuse. HA! HA! HA! But Larry is right the diagnosis of adjustment disorder is a nightmare for a veteran with PTSD.

• HadIt.com Elder

I helped a VN combat vet friend with his claim and just got his award letter. They awarded him SC for generalized anxiety disorder with depressive features (claimed as PTSD), at 30%, and stated he didn't quite meet all of the diagnostic criteria for PTSD. I think we'll appeal, once we get the C&P results and his complete c-file. I believe he meets the PTSD criteria but, for now, he's happy.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

I read many BVA cases recently to find an answer to the question "is adjustment disorder service connnectable"?

The only cases I found were secondary to another service connected chronic medical condition. Headaches were the most common cases that were awarded. I would suggest that you find some BVA cases relating to this question. The only ones I found that were awarded were secondary to chronic service connected medical conditions.

Adjustment disorder is a condition that is caused by a trigger or stressor. I could see shrinks using this as an initial diagnosis to a stressor. However, if the symptoms persist for over six months after the stressor is removed they would need to change it to another mental condition. This is pretty much what the DSM says. Note on critera "E". The diagnosis applies when "The symptoms DO NOT persist for an addition six months."

The diagnostic criteria in the DSM-IV are

A. The development of emotional or behavioral symptoms in response to an identifiable stressor(s) occurring within three months of the onset of the stressor(s).

B. These symptoms or behaviors are clinically significant as evidenced by either of the following:

1. marked distress that is in excess of what would be expected from exposure to the stressor

2. significant impairment in social or occupational (academic) functioning

C. The stress-related disturbance does not meet the criteria for another specific Axis I disorder and is not merely an exacerbation of a preexisting Axis I or Axis II disorder.

D. The symptoms do not represent Bereavement.

E. Once the stressor (or its consequences) has terminated, the symptoms do not persist for more than an additional six months.