Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Missing Documents

Rate this question

jsdwd

Question

My claim is owned by Oakland VARO. They sent file to Phoenix for records search, etc. Phoenix sent me a letter asking me if I had anything to add. I sent them three documents (buddy letter, ex-wife letter and psychiatrists report) via certified mail, return receipt. I got the receipt and it was signed, so they received the documents. I still have the receipt and copies of all documents.

I was scheduled for and attended the C & P exams for my PTSD claim and mentioned the psychiatrist report the the examining psychiatrist. She said she hadn't seen any psychiatric report. I told her I had sent it in whereupon she looked through the entire file she had (which was bulky with medical, service records and whatever else. None of what I sent was there. I had copies with me and she left them in the folder, but told me she was not authorized to add them and maybe they would be kept and maybe not. These documents are important to my claim.

I asked my county VA assistance guy (who has been no help) what to do and said I was over reacting and that he had, "...no reason to believe the records were not in the file." What gives with that?? They weren't there. I'm not lying. He said I if I asked that they be included now it would only slow down the claim (it has already been over 7 months) and of course I don't want to do this, but I don't trust this guy to give me good advice. My thought is that they are important documents and should be considered by the rating board.

What do you think I should do?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

your exam was to discuss what is now,not what was.they don't send all that to the c and p.your stressor has been accepted or you would not have triggered a c and p exam. i went for mine a month ago and the examiner had nothing but a single sheet of paper. i got 60 percent..so relax.

"My thought is that they are important documents and should be considered by the rating board.

What do you think I should do? "

Re submit them ASAP and dump th SO and get a better one

Many county service reps dont have a single clue on VA claims stuff- I wonder if he even heard of the "October Incident"

Some are great however.

If you are denied and they do not list these documents as evidence or consider them at all in the narrative- file a Letter under the VA's "October Incident" - explained here and at VA WAtchdog-

as you know many ROs were found to have destroyed important claims docs.

BTW what RO do you deal with?

jsdwd,,,

I experienced the same thing with my file,,, submitted information only to be "misplaced." I found the "date stamped" items when handing information in to the VA is extremely important. Each time I was informed about my "misplaced files," I resubmitted the date-stamped information along with "resubmission." Finally,,, I actually spoke to some big wig at the VA and they were even appalled. After speaking with them,,, my paperwork miraculously was found."

As for the C&P,,, from my experience,,, they only have the history,,, not your current submissions for a claim. They simply check and give an "instant" opinion of you at that particular moment <<<taking in consideration of what they read in your history concerning the specific disability>>>

Still,,, I read a lot about checking C-Files to ensure everything you submit for your disability is there.

Tayo

I sent in a NOD on 4 clams in march of 2008 called them in Aug 2008, was told no NODS had been received. I called the county VA rep, and was told to take my folder from the county office to the VA in little Rock Ar. I got to little rock talked to a Rep, she could not answer any of my questions and told me I should go to lunch, I ask to talk to supervise when I got back, when I returned the supervisor talked with me about the records not being in my C file, he told me they never received them almost called me a liar, so I pulled out the file form my local county VA and it had all the dates the claims were sent off and the conformation the little rock VA had sent the county. I never seen someone move as fast as he did, my file was found a hour later under some paper in the appeals office. They never did find the the NODS in their paper work, but I had mine so they had to give me the original dates. I think you should take your county folder to your VA office and show them the dates, they received your paper work, your county VA should have all the dates in your file. I hope that can help you.

Sounds like the best thing is to go to the RO and ask to see my C File. I guess there will be no problem in doing that. Not sure where the file is...Oakland is my RO and the exams were at Palo Alto VA....might the file be there or do they just send the examiner a copy?

Thanks to all for advice.