Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received C&p Records That Aren't Mine

Rate this question

Curt

Question

What does everyone think.....I requested my C&P exam records through iris since they were conducted at OTC

Doctors and not available through the VAMC, well they came today and much to my surprise included were the results

of a PTSD exam from another Vet, can you believe that!!! Of course the VA 1-800# said please send them back but

I just hate to send them in so they can get lost again, now Im worried that my records needed to decide my claim are

in someone else file....Suggestions

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Who violated Hippa the VA or QTC?

Wait for Berta she has a good grasp of what to do with wrong records

Pete, Can't figure out how to answer PM's

But, for my idea. Aren't Medicial Records sort of like the "Sacred Cow" that person it pertains to has to sign to get them out.

If my thought is correct that is a breech of the law

GARY

gdsnide

You must be talking about the real world. This is the VA world. Sadly, the operate with their own set of "rules" (using the term very loosly here).

I received in the mail the other day...from the VA...a notice of thier Privacy Act Standards and it outlines just what they can do with our medical records *without* our knowledge.

WOW. The list was very long. Basically our records, since they are electronic now, are out there for anyone to read anytime they damn well please.

It's scary.

What does everyone think.....I requested my C&P exam records through iris since they were conducted at OTC

Doctors and not available through the VAMC, well they came today and much to my surprise included were the results

of a PTSD exam from another Vet, can you believe that!!! Of course the VA 1-800# said please send them back but

I just hate to send them in so they can get lost again, now Im worried that my records needed to decide my claim are

in someone else file....Suggestions

Curt,

I would contact the VAOIG. Just for general information, the VA handles these types of situations by giving the person who had their records compromised a year worth of Identity protection. Woo hoo

Curt,

Call the nearest office of the Inspector Generals Office and ask them to come and get records. Make them sign for custody.

Or mail them to your elected representative.

Or call a local news outlet and explain the situation. Do not give the records to the news outlet, just explain what happened.

Either we start fighting back or nothing is ever going to improve.

Call or email the VAIOG- everyone here is right on that-

I got 2 BVA for 2 different vets decisions once-

If I have not contacted the DAV and the AL (who repped these vets -one could have lost his appellate rights if I didnt do something.

One vet had been awarded 10O% by the BVA.I called and congratulated the DAV who was shocked and I sent them that decision-

Then I had to contact the AL rep for the other vet (the ROs wer on these decision-just a matter of searching- and advise them this vet lost- and then I ended up assessing the whole claim decision and how the vet could fight the denial and enclosed that with the decision to the AL.

Also I strongly suggest that when you write to the IG and when you return this info to the veteran's rep if you can determine who their rep is-

(Dont send it to the RO named in it-until you back up what you are doing with this-

send a brief letter and CC: of what you got and tell the Sub Committee on Disability/ Investigations ( Cong John Hall)

what happened here-

I will post the address etc for above if you really want to do this.

There is a vet out there who could possibly be denied because of this- and I agree too that HIPPA has been violated.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.