Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Orthopaedic Experience Needed

Rate this question

cannoncocker

Question

I had a First Sgt. XXXXXXXXX tell me and it stuck with me as one of the most useful bits of philosophical thoughts to live by and kinda fits here. It sounds easy but in practice very difficult. I wish I could claim copyright but here it is: "never tell anybody anything you don't want them to know". sounds easy but nope, it ain't.

Anyway in a QTC Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.) examination the Doctor asked me how long my Index toe and Middle toe curved in a lot to the right on both sides, to the little toe. During active service I had bilatteral Hammer toe/Bunionectomy surgery (Mitchell Procedure). Which is basically the same thing, just the great toe rather than Index toe and Middle toe.

I told him I really didn't know (which is where the never tell somebody anything you don't want them to know kinda fits). I never claimed to be a genius, but what I do is just put cotton balls between the affedted toes when they blister or get numb by curling under the other. They probably curved after the original surgery because he would have repaired them at the same time, but he may not have bothered.

So the question is, did I make a mistake by not telling him the full story about the trouble I have with them or just deal with it like I have since I really don't remember when and if I did how could I correct the mistake if it could be corrected. B)

Thanks for sharing any experience with this sort of thing.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Sharon is correct.

When I said that you "shot yourself in the foot" I was speaking with tongue in cheek and trying to be "funny", you know, you got foot problems, so "shooting yourself in...........................", ah heck, never mind B)

A Statement in Support of claim will not add any additional time to your claim unless you add a new condition. Anytime you think you have additional information that will help your claim submit it. If you are claiming these toes as secondary to the service connected condition, amend your claim to state so. Otherwise they will rate it as a primary condition.

Larry I can keep my sense of humor, if we couldn't this mess doesn't have a thing to do with reality, it is all semantics. can you remember something from 25 years ago, it just is part of your life and don't event think, just stufff the cotton.... any way I palyed the IRIS/Fax/Email deal last night. I put it in as part of the claim (21-4138/21-4142) that I suspect they will completely ignore. I just accept that Appeal or NOD, however it works, which you can bet I will become better educated here rather than depend on someone else to fight your fights. I know the next step will be the appeal, as this has steamroller written all over it.

My experience is you fight your own fight in the VA war. The only chance we got is each other here sharing their experience.

I really respect you guys for jumping in, even if it is to lighten it up. There ain't nothing here gonna take my life so no biggy, just a longer fight. But brotha I don't just take a smack and go away. I'll keep coming!

Appreciate you guys. Next post is what I just got off IRIS so mabe somebody can decipher it for me and put it into real terms.