Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Orthopaedic Experience Needed

Rate this question

cannoncocker

Question

I had a First Sgt. XXXXXXXXX tell me and it stuck with me as one of the most useful bits of philosophical thoughts to live by and kinda fits here. It sounds easy but in practice very difficult. I wish I could claim copyright but here it is: "never tell anybody anything you don't want them to know". sounds easy but nope, it ain't.

Anyway in a QTC Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.) examination the Doctor asked me how long my Index toe and Middle toe curved in a lot to the right on both sides, to the little toe. During active service I had bilatteral Hammer toe/Bunionectomy surgery (Mitchell Procedure). Which is basically the same thing, just the great toe rather than Index toe and Middle toe.

I told him I really didn't know (which is where the never tell somebody anything you don't want them to know kinda fits). I never claimed to be a genius, but what I do is just put cotton balls between the affedted toes when they blister or get numb by curling under the other. They probably curved after the original surgery because he would have repaired them at the same time, but he may not have bothered.

So the question is, did I make a mistake by not telling him the full story about the trouble I have with them or just deal with it like I have since I really don't remember when and if I did how could I correct the mistake if it could be corrected. B)

Thanks for sharing any experience with this sort of thing.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Sounds like you already shot yourself in the foot.........

Sounds like the doc was "fishing" with you and even gave you the "bait" but you didn't "bite." Doesn't look like he will be able to do much with it now. I agree with Larryj. Sorry

I had a First Sgt. XXXXXXXXX tell me and it stuck with me as one of the most useful bits of philosophical thoughts to live by and kinda fits here. It sounds easy but in practice very difficult. I wish I could claim copyright but here it is: "never tell anybody anything you don't want them to know". sounds easy but nope, it ain't.

Anyway in a QTC Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.) examination the Doctor asked me how long my Index toe and Middle toe curved in a lot to the right on both sides, to the little toe. During active service I had bilatteral Hammer toe/Bunionectomy surgery (Mitchell Procedure). Which is basically the same thing, just the great toe rather than Index toe and Middle toe.

I told him I really didn't know (which is where the never tell somebody anything you don't want them to know kinda fits). I never claimed to be a genius, but what I do is just put cotton balls between the affedted toes when they blister or get numb by curling under the other. They probably curved after the original surgery because he would have repaired them at the same time, but he may not have bothered.

So the question is, did I make a mistake by not telling him the full story about the trouble I have with them or just deal with it like I have since I really don't remember when and if I did how could I correct the mistake if it could be corrected. B)

Thanks for sharing any experience with this sort of thing.

What you can do is send in a VA Form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim, or just write a letter. Give them the same example that you gave here. It's a pitiful dog that won't wag his own tail! B) It helps for you to explain what is going on with your situation.

Edited by sharon

What you can do is send in a VA Form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim, or just write a letter. Give them the same example that you gave here. It's a pitiful dog that won't wag his own tail! B) It helps for you to explain what is going on with your situation.

The part about shoting myself in the foot and fishing are pretty much what I figured but in all honesty it's usually a tangled web you weave.... and I plain didn't remember when exactly it started, only the logical part that if it had been preexisting they:

a. wouldn't have accepted me into the service in that condition.

b. The Doctor would have ideally fixed all of them at once.

c. So I figure it deveeloped do to realignment from the surgery.

But as a practical matter Sharon is spot on, submittimg the VA Form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim but to put this in context this man was in no way my friend or handing out free submission tickets as I preceived it. But since I am more than a year into this thing which I wish I had never begun, What's another 60 days plus. Which is what that would probably what that would add. not to mention the DAV will outright waterboard me for even thining the thought.

You guys are so helpful, if only I had met you guys/this board earlier. :lol:

Do/if I understand correctly, you had bilateral hammer toes surgical repair while on active duty. If the adjacent toes are curving--the question is are they secondary/developmental to the original hammer toes(?) or the service connected condition? I think you need an independent-private opinion from podiatrist or orthopedist concerning the toe(s)condition, especially if VA Doc is fishing when you have a C&P exam.

A Statement in Support of claim will not add any additional time to your claim unless you add a new condition. Anytime you think you have additional information that will help your claim submit it. If you are claiming these toes as secondary to the service connected condition, amend your claim to state so. Otherwise they will rate it as a primary condition.