• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va's Budget Request A 'victory' For Veterans

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

VA's Budget Request a 'Victory' for Veterans

WASHINGTON-"The administration's fiscal year 2010 budget request for the Department of Veterans Affairs shows our wounded and disabled veterans are national priorities," said Disabled American Veterans National Commander Raymond E. Dempsey. "Not only does it provide a legitimate record increase for VA health care, it reaffirms the administration's commitment to advance appropriations this year." In the proposed $112.8 billion VA budget, discretionary funding is $55.9 billion, an 11 percent increase from last year, even exceeding the $54.6 billion recommendation made by The Independent Budget, which the DAV coauthors with AMVETS, Paralyzed Veterans of America and Veterans of Foreign Wars. The President's budget proposal says the administration plans to "work with the Congress to develop a specific advance appropriations proposal for the VA's medical care program." "This is a victory for veterans as it is a clear sign of our efforts to achieve advance appropriations for VA medical care this year," Dempsey said. "It is encouraging to see the administration appears to understand the need to reform the VA budget process to assure sufficient, timely and predictable funding for veterans health care programs." Dempsey said the DAV is prepared to work with Congress to closely examine the full, detailed proposal to ensure the VA has a viable budget in plenty of time before the 2010 fiscal year begins Oct. 1. In addition to funding the VA in the fiscal year 2010 appropriations bill, Congress could also set the level of funding for the agency's three medical care accounts to become available at the start of the 2011 fiscal year. "I have been encouraged by the administration's willingness to work with the DAV and other veterans service organizations," Dempsey said. "This budget shows President Obama took note and is moving in the right direction to transform the VA and provide veterans with the care and benefits they have earned."

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Once the DAV said that "Veterans dont need lawyers..they have VSO's", I realized that there was a REASON why the Department of Veterans Affairs gives the DAV free rent in their buildings. The VA does not give me any "free rent" in any of their buildings, so the VA obviously wants SOMETHING for their "free rent".

I always wondered why the VSo's had an office in the VA Lions Den. It just doesn't make sense to have opposing parties sharing lavatories. Wouldn't it make you think that maybe they are not opposing parties after all? :unsure:

"Do one thing every day that scares you." Eleanor Roosevelt

• HadIt.com Elder

You may be surprized to find that some SO's at the VARO's, are ex VA employees/raters. They work one side of the fence, then work the other & never have to go to another building.

I can see this helping some vets & not others.

Keep your friends close & your enemies closer.