Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increased Rating Vs Tdui

Rate this question

navydoc2

Question

I hope this makes sense. I was rated 10 percent for left knee patellofemoral chondromylacia and 30 percent depression secondary to knee condition, this was in 07. I recently applied for increased rating of depression and bilateral hearing loss with tinnitis. I went to my QTC exams and also filled out the paperwork they sent me and returned it. Now a few weeks ago I received another pile of papers to fill out talking about individual unemployability. My question is what in tdui and does this take the place of my increased rating request or do they go together. I've tried to talk to my RSO about it but can't get through to him I know they are busy, so I thought I would ask for help here. thanks in advance.

William

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I hope this makes sense. I was rated 10 percent for left knee patellofemoral chondromylacia and 30 percent depression secondary to knee condition, this was in 07. I recently applied for increased rating of depression and bilateral hearing loss with tinnitis. I went to my QTC exams and also filled out the paperwork they sent me and returned it. Now a few weeks ago I received another pile of papers to fill out talking about individual unemployability. My question is what in tdui and does this take the place of my increased rating request or do they go together. I've tried to talk to my RSO about it but can't get through to him I know they are busy, so I thought I would ask for help here. thanks in advance.

William

I was 70% when I requested MRI's for my back and knees, and filled out the IU paperwork at the same time... They granted the IU, bumping me to 100%, and I didn't hear anything again about a new rating for my back and knees...

I was 70% when I requested MRI's for my back and knees, and filled out the IU paperwork at the same time... They granted the IU, bumping me to 100%, and I didn't hear anything again about a new rating for my back and knees...

so if you eventually return to work would you then have to reopen/restart your increase rating claim. I'm thinking I would rather have the increase rating and not IU because although its been a almost a year since I've worked I would like to return to work. thanks for moving for me Carlie :)

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have put in for a increase, and your conditions warrant a increase, then they will give you a increase. If you meet the criteria for TDIU in addition to the increase, and you have filed for it, they will award that, too.

Example: You are at a combined 30% now. You file for a increase and TDIU at the same time. Your C&P's warrant a increase to a combined 70%, and they award you TDIU at the same time. Then a year from now you feel a little better and return to work. You send the VARO a letter explaining that you have returned to work. They cancel your TDIU and your rating falls back to 70%, instead of 30%. They would most likely call you in for new C&P's as well to see if they can reduce your combined rating.

Hope that made sense.

If you have put in for a increase, and your conditions warrant a increase, then they will give you a increase. If you meet the criteria for TDIU in addition to the increase, and you have filed for it, they will award that, too.

Example: You are at a combined 30% now. You file for a increase and TDIU at the same time. Your C&P's warrant a increase to a combined 70%, and they award you TDIU at the same time. Then a year from now you feel a little better and return to work. You send the VARO a letter explaining that you have returned to work. They cancel your TDIU and your rating falls back to 70%, instead of 30%. They would most likely call you in for new C&P's as well to see if they can reduce your combined rating.

Hope that made sense.

Thanks. That makes perfect sense. I'm not really concerned about being called back in for follow up cp's since I doubt my hearing will get any better, and my medication for depression keeps me stable. I doubt that would be grounds for decreased rating or at least I hope not :). thanks again rentalguy1.