Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security Claim For Ptsd,depression And Anxiety

Rate this question

dicple13

Question

Hello everyone,

I was recently medical retired from my Government position of Supply Tech after almost 13years because of my PTSD symptoms interfering with the work place.I have now applied for SS and have a exam for my mental conditions even though I am quite sure in my VA medical records as well as private treatment records it should be enough.Yet I am suppose to go and see on of their doctors who don;t know a thing about me or my problems.What should I expect from this visit? Is it sort of like a C&P exam? by the way I am not Service Connected yet for PTSD...waiting on the review from the DRO.Can someone give me a little advice on the SS exam?

Thanks

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Hello everyone,

I was recently medical retired from my Government position of Supply Tech after almost 13years because of my PTSD symptoms interfering with the work place.I have now applied for SS and have a exam for my mental conditions even though I am quite sure in my VA medical records as well as private treatment records it should be enough.Yet I am suppose to go and see on of their doctors who don;t know a thing about me or my problems.What should I expect from this visit? Is it sort of like a C&P exam? by the way I am not Service Connected yet for PTSD...waiting on the review from the DRO.Can someone give me a little advice on the SS exam?

Thanks

I can only speak for my self I was awarded PTSD by SSD the VA made it quite hard for me to service connect PTSD even with IMO's , one of the from SSD and 3 others VA related. I had one from SSD alone the deemed me unable to work but I still had to wait 2 and 1/2 years for the ALJ to approve it, but it seems as though the VA has fell in line since my SSD award of PTSD. I have found many times here that one usually follows the other time and time again most of the time but there has been times rarely that one didn't. Now with that being said don't build your hopes up for SSD for PTSD you may get it but in my opinion you wont with out the ALJ without the VA backing you. It is a time consuming process but if what you say is true it will all work out it will just take time. Stick with it you will find all the tools you need here to fight your claim as I did.

My claim was similar and not complicated the VA will try to make it complicated and if they do you will find here on how to counter there moves, the first step you made is a good one by coming here, Good luck....Yog.

Sorry I got a little off message my SSD exam was done by a local Forensic Psychologist that had sent people to there deaths and highly trained in his field had stated I had severe PTSD and doubted I could handle my own finances. It was disregarded and SSA said I could still work and 2 1/2 years latter ALJ thought different. My point is unless VA is backing you to be disabled SSA will make you wait. But as far as preparing take a list of your meds and how they effect you i.e drunk, getty, dizzy how every they make you feel any medical records you may have supporting your claim VA, IMO's and make sure they know how it effects your life and daily living and your job when you did work how it effects your family and you with your family, police reports anything to support your claim...Good luck again.. Yog

Edited by yoggie2

• HadIt.com Elder

What the SSA doctor is going to be determining is can you do any work at all with your PTSD condition. That is a high standard. What I got was a very specific report from a doctor who does SSA medical disability reports. He got the wording down right. The medical must say that you are totally disabled and will be totally disabled from all work for at least one year. These are the magic words. I never had an exam from SSA, but I know people who have and it is not a walk in the park.

If you get denied hire a lawyer. They are experts at this stuff.