Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Processing Timelines

Rate this question

jsdwd

Question

I am a newbie to the VA system and have claims being processed. So far it's been about 8 months since I originally filed. I have had my C & P exams (saw the psych PTSD report - GAF 45, she said I am unable to work due to PTSD and fit the DSMIV guidelines - I should get rated, but no one seems to know what the ballpark percentage is. I've ad estimates from 30% to 80% or TDIU). I have also a hearing claim and an Agent Orange/Diabetes claim. All exams are done and, according to IRIS, my claim went before the rating board on 5/15. If It weren't for hadit.com I would know nothing. My VSO (county) basically says, 'wait your turn', 'I don't know' and 'you are too nervous, leave me alone'. He has done nothing for me.

Is there anywhere a step by step guideline (flowchart) of the processing of claims? The self-help guide was great, but not complete. And (the big question) are there approximate times associated with the processing at each step? Someone must know this. It is child'splay to put travelers on a sample of claims and calculate the average time each step takes.

What has struck me throughout is the almost complete lack of information about the process itself. The standard answer to virtually every question I've asked the VA or VSO or VRO is "I don't know." I don't think it has to be that way. Keeping track of paperwork is not rocket science.

Is anyone aware of efforts in this regard or reports about this sort of thing?

Thanks.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I went to Dallas Voc Rehab for orientation I am trying to get Independent Living for adapting tub in bathroom to a walk in shower. I guess it went ok the guy seemed to entertain the idea and said he wanted to document the need to get approval.

Anyway I had to watch a movie that VA does and they have little senarios of which one was about a Veteran who told a Vet pal of his he got his disability 2 weeks after separation. I laughed so hard I thought that I was going to hurt myself.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

2 weeks now that was a fantasy film for sure the VA can't decide to fart in 2 weeks

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

It's very possible to handle your own claim. I did it, many others have as well. It's really not a hard thing to do at all--just takes time and computer access. You can do this.

As far as a timeline. It's anyones guess. The shortest time I personally know of is 5 months. Mine was about 8 months. Some are years. The VA operates on their own "hurry up & wait" timeline. And the more you bug them, the longer it takes (just my own observations).

Good luck.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just be aware that you don't have a rating decision until you have the written decision in your hand. No matter what anyone tells you at the VA you have to have it in writing. With the VA everything can go wrong from them losing your file to saying you are not even a veteran. I think it has all happened to me at least once over the years. They never get smarter or more careful. They just put you and your claim into the sausage grinder.

Your experience is kind of what I'm expecting, but I've had other folks tell me that a GAF of 45 could come in at 70%. Who knows.

Thanks for the info.

Don't count on that. A GAF score is a "snapshot in time"...how you are doing in a short period of time. Is that the only GAF score you have? Sometimes it helps to show a series of GAF scores all within the same range...a pattern.

Remember though, the key to winning any claim is hard medical evidence.

There's no clearcut method to how the VA does anything.