VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim Deferred And Also Iu

Rate this question

NamVetWife

Question

OK I have posted this elsewhere but I am trying to get it straight what DH and I should do. June 2008 DH filed claim for increase on SC peptic ulcer disease plus etxras, also filed claim on PTSD (his Dr told him to do this) and also one on his lower back (he has documented back injury from Nam).

SC got increased to 60% which is wonderful. Back was denied as they said no connection between Nam injury and what is going on now (other Dr's disagree) the PTSD which had been diagnosed as severe repressed PTSD, put in program, on meds, monthly appointments - was deferred for more information. His GAF is 45. How much more do they want? The head of the PTSD Clinic is the one who diagnosed this, then this was seconded by the head shrink. Do they not believe their own doctors!

Then next in the awards letter came IU deferred - we had not submitted a claim for IU as we thought you had to have at least 70% to start with and prior to this DH was at 30%.

DH is really mad, he wants to go straight to congressman, I said from what I had read on here we needed to submit a NOD as the evidence from the 2 Dr's and his inclusion in the PTSD clinic and meds should have been a no brainer - but then we are dealing with the VA.

I did not mention this previously (in other posts) but DH took a really bad fall hit his head and has not been good at remembering things , C&P for PTSD referred to this - my thinking is that gave the window of opportunity to the VA and that is why they deferred. It doesn't change the fact that he has PTSD or that he is on the meds - he has it and it isn't going away by itself.

Another strange thing - we have used the local VSO to submit claims etc (personally I am unimpressed he hasn't seemed very helpful as far as I am concerned). In the awards letter it states that a copy has been sent to the Veterans of Foreigh Wars - have no idea why that was done we have never enlisted their help or even know anyone who is connected with them.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

NamVetWife

His PTSD should be a sure thing if he has a PH. It must be the letter that is lacking. The PH is his verifiable stressor proof. He or you just need to write a letter describing the event. I can't think of anything else that would be holding this up as long as the VA knows he has a PH.

Received letter Sat 8/1 - PTSD SC 30% but get this the back pay was in the bank Monday morning - total shock. Stressor was proved by army records. Strange thing is the same stressor for PTSD is the same incident that caused the back injury and that is still denied.

Received more paperwork regarding IU - said it was deferred waiting for more info. VSO said when the SC went to 60% for one disability then the VA will look at the IU. We are in the process of getting everything together. Since we had not filled out the IU application that is first on the list then gathering copies of Dr's letters etc.

Thanks for the wealth of information found on this site.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good and you are making progress. If your husband is unable to work he should get 100% with benefits.

We especially respect the spouses who support their Veterans.