Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

pete

Question

How on earth do you post on this new site? Anyway, to make a long story short I filed for ptsd, went to a private psychologist twice and got a GAF of 45. Got a va c&p which lasted 50 minutes and the psychiatrist resident gave me a gaf of 69. I was infantry (Vietnam) purple heart, verifiable stressors, etc. Was told today on the 800# that I'm being awarded 10%. Now what? Also, I've got shrapnel behind my left knee which is bothering me considerably-the va doc gave me a 6 month supply of Vicodin which I'm reluctant to take because it's a narcotic. I've never made a claim for the knee. Berta, if you see this somewhere on this site would you be kind enough to give me some advice? All others welcome, as well. Pete

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

pete,

The VA did not give any weight to you IMO's report. There is a question as to what the doctors and the VA have to believe in your statements to a doctor. Get your social security records and prove to them that you had both many jobs and little pay. Submit the social security records to the doctor and with the claim. Like Berta said "when did you last work?. If you have not worked in a long time prove it to them with social security records and tax records. just do not tell them this. When I went for my exams I took my Social Security records with me. A shrink will be more impressed with the records you bring than what you say.

There could be some problems with your IMO's credentials and you can believe they investigated him and did not tell you. My SO told me to get IMO opinions as a last resort. If you can get a good report from a VA doctor then the VA has a harder time shooting them down. I started seeking reports from VA doctors. All of my claims have been awarded based on reports written for free by VA doctors. I found some good doctors and some who stunk. The VA doctors made factual errors and I was able to get the record straight. I would give the VA doctors a shot first and if you run into any problems check the credentials of an IMO and then see an IMO with good credentials.

You could get a gaf score by entering treatment at a VA hospital. Go to the walkin psychiatric emergency clinc or your primary and tell them that the C&P examineer made factual errors in her assesment. The C&P examiners and your clinic examiners take notes then write their reports later. If they do not take good notes they can't remember what you said and start filling in the blanks.

The fact that she mentioned only half of your statment about your employmet situation indicates she forgot what you said. They are not all dishonest. However, this is a significant factuall error. Remember ommitting a fact is in fact a factual error. Immediately request that all factul error found in the reports of a VA doctor be corrected. I had to do this with my doctors. They did not resist in correcting the records.

Do all the things others have suggested. These are my thoughts

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.

Guest frank
Frank

If you have 100% PTSD it is important to get an autopsy done on yourself. If there is heart disease you might be able to get a service connected death. Best to get any heart disease SC'ed before death since this is hell on a widow to try and prove SC death after the fact.

JOHN, I AM SERVICE CONNECTED FOR HEART PLUS OTHER MEDICAL CONDITIONS.HOWEVER,PTSD WOULD BE EASY TO PROVE AS CAUSE OF DEATH, BECAUSE PTSD WOULD COVER MANY THINGS STAVARATION SEEING THINGS HEARING THING THAT CAUSE YOU TO HURT YOURSELF ,RUNNING AROUNG CRAZY GETTING HIT BY A CAR JUST TO NAME A FEW THING THAT COULD HAPPEN WHEN YOU HAVE 100%PTSD YUP,YOU ARE 100% COVERED AND HOW CAN I GET A AUTOPSY ON MYSELF WHEN I AM DEAD? FRANK

Guest frank
Frank

If you have 100% PTSD it is important to get an autopsy done on yourself. If there is heart disease you might be able to get a service connected death. Best to get any heart disease SC'ed before death since this is hell on a widow to try and prove SC death after the fact.

JOHN, I AM SERVICE CONNECTED FOR HEART PLUS OTHER MEDICAL CONDITIONS.HOWEVER,PTSD WOULD BE EASY TO PROVE AS CAUSE OF DEATH, BECAUSE PTSD WOULD COVER MANY THINGS STAVARATION SEEING THINGS HEARING THING THAT CAUSE YOU TO HURT YOURSELF ,RUNNING AROUNG CRAZY GETTING HIT BY A CAR JUST TO NAME A FEW THING THAT COULD HAPPEN WHEN YOU HAVE 100%PTSD YUP,YOU ARE 100% COVERED AND HOW CAN I GET A AUTOPSY ON MYSELF WHEN I AM DEAD? FRANK

• HadIt.com Elder

Frank

I thought you had a spouse. That's why I mentioned an autopsy so your spouse could prove SC in order to get DIC. You can't just assume direct service connection from a death if you have PTSD.

Guest frank
Frank

I thought you had a spouse. That's why I mentioned an autopsy so your spouse could prove SC in order to get DIC. You can't just assume direct service connection from a death if you have PTSD.

john, i do have a spouce, however i doubt she woule ever apply for anything. she has enought monet to live she is a bussiness woman,had 3 beauty shops,plus we owned 22 homes we also live in a condo,in nj and a home in bradentou fla where we go for the winters,my wife is also a real state investor,and she makes sharp deals.i don,t mean to brag, i only know she would tell the va to shove it, frank

Guest frank
john, i do have a spouce, however i doubt she woule ever apply for anything. she has enought monet to live she is a bussiness woman,had 3 beauty shops,plus we owned 22 homes we also live in a condo,in nj and a home in bradentou fla where we go for the winters,my wife is also a real state investor,and she makes sharp deals.i don,t mean to brag, i only know she would tell the va to shove it, frank
i also wanted to state, i am sc for heart, plus eye problem, and more my award letter states you are 100% for both dates of service,so the medical are there i have quite a lot of medical on record,plus a va doctor stating in 1994,a full medical report that backs up all service medical records. but i know my wife would never apply for anything they sent her a champva card she ripped it up and put in garbage called champva told them to get her name out of thrir system frank