VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Va Guidelines/regs/etc. For Mobility Scooter

Rate this question

texvet

Question

I find myself tired after a couple hundred feet of walking and need to rest awhile before continuing. Not out of breath, just tired and aching joints. I have recently rented a scooter at Disney World, Sea World, and boardwalks and have good experiences. I have disabled vet plates and a placard I use when renting a vehicle. A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jon

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I'd guess that you would need your Primary Care Physician at your local VA Medical Center, to "referr" you to the dept. at the hospital that does the "determination" for the "roll-about" walkers. I can't think of the name of the dept. but it is the same people that take care of the training for vets that have to have adapted automobiles, etc. I know that is where I got my walker and where they "trained" me in the use thereof.

It is done through the prosthetics department at the va hospital.

Regulations, Guidelines and Literature

38 CFR 17.150, 17.151, 17.152, 17.153, 17.154, 17.155, 17.156, 17.157, 17.158, 17.159.

Edited by sharon

A couple of things to consider. The VA will purchase a Wheelchair Lift for your Vehicle and a Ramp to help you get in and out of your house. You will need to request your PCP to add this onto the consult. You may also want to look at the pro's and con's of a scooter compared to a wheelchair. If you have any questions PM me and I can give you some more information.

A couple of things to consider. The VA will purchase a Wheelchair Lift for your Vehicle and a Ramp to help you get in and out of your house. You will need to request your PCP to add this onto the consult. You may also want to look at the pro's and con's of a scooter compared to a wheelchair. If you have any questions PM me and I can give you some more information.

I have both... Pro's and Cons's

Wheelchairs sucks outside, scooter sucks inside.....

Scooter faster ! more flags more fun..... :lol: