VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need More Help

Rate this question

gbennett

Question

I've been Googleing it so much lately my eyes are going googley.

I've followed everones advice and I just know that out there somewhere is a little known place that I can find proof the USS OGDEN LPD 5 was off the coast of Vung Tau from 16 to 24 December 1969. Maybe one of the Marines out there would have some info of where to look.

Thanks

Gordon

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I emailed the Navy the ship is still in service and has a active duty web site. I will let you know what they respond with Mike

Here is a link to the Naval Support Activity at Vung Tau (1965-1971)

http://www.mrfa.org/bases41.htm

I don't think any of us Marines ever got any further south than I Corps and no where close to Saigon as far as I know. During the period you speak of I don't thing there were any Marines south of Quang Nam in I Corps. The last Marine Unit I knew of further south than that was MAG-13 in Chu Lai for a time and then they left in mid-69 and redeployed to Japan.

Guest jstacy

If all else fails you may be able to get a buddy statement from this website:http://unitpages.military.com/unitpages/members.do?id=200014&action=viewByIndex&startIdx=101

There are several folks that were on the Ogden at the same time you were. These are Navy folks. You may have to register for the site. All members have Email contact information that you can use.

Edited by jstacy

OK I saw your earlier post from 9 March. You said the 3rd Marines and you weren't sure if the location was Cau Viet or Vung Tau. Well it is 99% more likely to be Cau Viet that leads into the Cau Viet River to Dong Ha. And that (Camp Carroll was the 3rd Marines base camp. Of course are you sure it was 3rd Marines, meaning 3rd Marine Regiment of the 3rd Marine Division or were you saying 3rd Marines meaning 3rd Marine Division? If it was division then you are talking quite a few different regiments to include the 9th, 4th, and 7th Marines. If you are certain of the Marine Regiment you can contact the Marine Corps unit records branch at Quantico and ask for unit diaries for that specific period to substantiate their being aboard the Ogden during that time. You can also write CNO and ask for unit daily rosters for personnel on the Ogden during that period also. With your name on the roster and the Marines unit diaries you have the proof.

Also here are the phone numbers for the USS Ogden:

USS Ogden Telephone numbers

Quarterdeck: (619) 556-3908; DSN 526-3908

Command Career Counselor's Office: (619) 556-3916; DSN 526-3916

Administrative Office: (619) 556-3919; DSN 526-3919

Deck Department: (619) 556-3918; DSN 526-3918

Engineering Department: (619) 556-3911; DSN 526-3911

Medical Department: (619) 556-3917; DSN 526-3917

Air Department number (619) 556-4153

Operations Department: (619) 556-3912; DSN 526-3912

Supply Department: (619) 556-3910; DSN 526-3910

Edited by RockyA1911

It's probably cua viet And Ive been searcing in both area's.

I've found 1 person thats doing a buddy letter so far. The sailor I talked to when I called the ship was more impressed I was still alive but couln't realy help.

I wish I knew more about the CORPs but I don't. I made a lot of Marine friends on the Ogden and Tuscaloosa, good memories. I think I will wait and see if the ships log comes in.

Thanks Everyone

Gordon Bennett

Fair Winds and following Seas to All

Guest Berta

I will add the coastal war map of Vietnam again-if it will attach- maybe the names will be clear-

can't remember that port at all---

Rocky is right-as to the CORPS -in I Corp predominately-

If this map attaches you could blow up the I corp area-

I took an extensive course in USMC history last year-and want to help if I can-

and have considerable info on Nam-

So I want to help you- but I see the period in question is only from Dec 16 to Dec 24, 1969 ?

Rocky gave lots of links and he is right-

When my husband was in 3rd Amphibious Tracker Battalion, they were renamed as Ist Marines , (Rolling Thunder Starlight 1965-1966)-by Adm. Zumwalt-but I do think you mean 3rd Mar Div-in this time frame but then there are so many other

designations, along with the 3rd Mar-

Question- what were the Marines doing on the ship during this week period?

Did they get on for some reason and then leave the ship?

Or did you have contact with them while they were on shore?