VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ddd

Rate this question

babyray

Question

B) I was rated 20% for degenerative disc disease and spondylolisthesis, lumber spine with diagnostic code 5242 on a decision on July 17, 2009. Why was I not rated separately for each disease w/ a code of 5242 and 5239. Why was I rated with just one disability?

BR

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

thats the way the did me and then,thedav turn it dowwn ,now 40%after two mabee threeyrs.

That's the VA's attempt to appease you. They are hoping you are not smart enough to know that they should rate you for each condition. You need to send in an NOD stating that you should have been rated separately for those conditions. Have you been checked for Radiculopathy in your legs? I would bet you have it. If you have a private physician, ask to be tested for it. If it comes back that you do have Radiculopathy, then file a claim for comp for that also.

That's the VA's attempt to appease you. They are hoping you are not smart enough to know that they should rate you for each condition. You need to send in an NOD stating that you should have been rated separately for those conditions. Have you been checked for Radiculopathy in your legs? I would bet you have it. If you have a private physician, ask to be tested for it. If it comes back that you do have Radiculopathy, then file a claim for comp for that also.

mags1023, thx. On 4-17-09 I had a MRI. The impression was: multiple level neuroforaminal stenosis, probable left L5 radiculopathy. What does that means?

mags1023, thx. On 4-17-09 I had a MRI. The impression was: multiple level neuroforaminal stenosis, probable left L5 radiculopathy. What does that means?

It's saying you probably have radiculopathy on your left side. You need to get an ortho dr or your family dr to check you out and to say you have been diagnosed with it and it is due to your lumbar spine/DDD condition.

• HadIt.com Elder
B) I was rated 20% for degenerative disc disease and spondylolisthesis, lumber spine with diagnostic code 5242 on a decision on July 17, 2009. Why was I not rated separately for each disease w/ a code of 5242 and 5239. Why was I rated with just one disability?

BR

Rating both codes would be considered Pyramiding.

If you have neurological problems then these are to be rated separatly.

J

Yeah you need to file for the Radiculapathy/Neuropathy as a seperate issue. Actually if they mentioned the words radiculapathy/neuropathy in your rating then this would a seperate issue they should have added, but for some reason they seem to not most of the time.

Radiculapathy = shooting pain often said to be in an "S1 distribution" which basically means down the back of your leg and bottom of your foot etc.

Neuropathy is generally tingeling, loss of feeling, loss of ability to move weakness etc.

Now they may have increased your rating based upon the radiculapathy but if they did they would say so, so they probably didn't. Further... well look up what IVDS is on the info under back injuries at the top of the group. It probably doesnt apply, but it may.

Also you dont need a diagnosis of radiculapathy, you already have it on the MRI... However, it could not hurt getting an ortho or PCP doc at the VA to say this, if one hasnt already which they probably have since someone sent you for the MRI right?

Edited by sixthscents