• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

1200 Vets Victimized By

Rate this question

Berta

Question

http://dailymail.com/News/200908240456

I regret that UPS ad popped up in the post-dont know how to delete it-

Denise Nichols is a relentless GWV advocate-I imagine her group was overwhelmed.

This is terrible!

ALS is fatal disease and these vets were told they had it-but didnt-

They should file for anxiety comp caused by the VA-of course that wont work and I dont think they could sue-

The VA seems incapable of doing anything right!

This stuff only supports what we have said for years- the VA employs incompetent workers.

News

Monday August 24, 20091,200 veterans wrongly told they have ALSby The Associated PressAdvertiserpq?t=i&s=44&ac=5&at=2&rnd=34815&xvk=-850561218var ipt = "ipt";var rnd = Math.random()*99999999;document.write('');document.write('');lg.php?bannerid=290&campaignid=221&zoneid=139&loc=1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fdailymail.com%2FNews%2F200908240456&cb=0120333652CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) -- At least 1,200 Gulf War veterans across the country have been mistakenly notified by the Veterans Administration that they suffer from a fatal neurological disease.

National Gulf War Resources Center Vice President Denise Nichols says panicked veterans from Alabama, Florida, Kansas, North Carolina, West Virginia and Wyoming have contacted her group.

The letters dated Aug. 12 were intended to notify veterans who have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig's disease, of disability compensation benefits available to them.

Calls to the VA were not immediately returned Monday.

Nichols said the VA is blaming a coding error for the mistake.

ALS is a rapidly progressive disease that attacks the nerve cells responsible for controlling voluntary muscles.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) -- At least 1,200 Gulf War veterans across the country have been mistakenly notified by the Veterans Administration that they suffer from a fatal neurological disease.

National Gulf War Resources Center Vice President Denise Nichols says panicked veterans from Alabama, Florida, Kansas, North Carolina, West Virginia and Wyoming have contacted her group.

The letters dated Aug. 12 were intended to notify veterans who have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig's disease, of disability compensation benefits available to them.

Calls to the VA were not immediately returned Monday.

Nichols said the VA is blaming a coding error for the mistake.

ALS is a rapidly progressive disease that attacks the nerve cells responsible for controlling voluntary muscles."

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My VA medical records stated I have AIDS. :huh: I found out about it during an exam recently. Some doctor (unknown) had put that in my file. I do not have AIDS. I was tested several times for aids while I was hospitalized last year for 6 months. They tested me 3 times because they kept losing the tests/results. The doctor removed that info because I told him that was wrong and to look up my test an dreults. He then looked it up and found evidence that my test result was negative. I never did anything that would have given me aids ayways. But the point is someone errouneously put that in my file.

Not in appeals, since I got 100%, and some of it was winning an 1151 negligence, which the VA turns out does not give ful benefits if you win 1151 negligence they squirm and legal loophhole you and your family out of many benefits, really crapp nasty bunch running the va benefits, they wil backstab and scre wyou even if you win you lose. May 2021.

01-01-11_My_Medical_Records2.jpg

While I certainly agree that these 1200 letters are a boondogle of massive proportions, I disagree that it was one or more incompetent employee's faults. I think this, and other VA scandals, are management issues, most likely in the highest levels of Va management.

To put the blame on a few incompetent employees means that management can continue to plod along with their ineffective leadership style and repeatedly simply place the blame on incompetent employees at the next VA scandal.

It is really really bad for a leader to blame his followers when ever anything goes wrong. Altho this is the VA way, it needs to change.

If incompetent employees are the problem, then it is up to management to either get rid of them, or put them in a position where they cant harm others.

It is kind of like the parents blaming their children...who is supposed to be watching over them?

It is time VA management took responsibility for its past mistakes, and make REAL corrective changes instead of this same mumbo jumbo..

...it was an isolated incident...(this means the problem is widespread, and they are unwilling/unable to deal with it)

..VA management have taken corrective action..(this means they are trying to cover it up)

..VA management denies that it has happened (until they can find a scapegoat to blame it on)

Puleeze..dont blame your helpers!

VA's motto, "If you cant fix the problem, then fix the blame" needs to be scrapped.

Edited by broncovet

"To put the blame on a few incompetent employees" I really despise beating a dead horse but since when has it ever been any different in any bureaucracy. You seldom if ever see the people in charge being held accountable for anything. Can you say plausible deniablity? The big dog feeds the little dog and then keeps on rolling, at least in public view. That is how the system is set up and will not change in my lifetime.

Of course it is managements fault. Why else do they have the power and influence?

IMHO

• HadIt.com Elder

I saw my PCP doc today, he told me I have diabetes according to my records, yet I have never been treated for it, I DON'T have it, someone entered something wrong on my records about 4 years ago, now he is trying to get them to purge my file so I don't have to keep having the yearly tests for diabetes rofl he really does NOT have to look at my feet like the diabetes list contains.......There is no way I can blame this error on management some doctor or nurse entered it....

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

• HadIt.com Elder

Ha. I think that the VA has a lot more than a few incompetents.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.