VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression ..how To Claim

Rate this question

c&p man

Question

I am claiming depression for my service connected back,migrains, and foot and ankle. i got a letter stating they are still working on my claim. I was denied depression before but i didnt submit a reason for having it before..... I have a diagnoses from the va theriapist but its for a non service connected issue which the va knows about and stated in the letter ..The va stated that i do have a dianoses of depression and was denied it a copuple of years ago and that i need to show a connectin.. i know the va will throw the non connected issue up in the final decision since they all ready sent me this letter stating i need something to show that my service connected issue have casued me depression.... well my serivice connected issues and my non service have casued depression as the eveidence shows and the va know about my non service connected diagnoses of depression...... I have been seeing a private theriapist for about 2 months i know i will have to get some kinds of imo to get a nexus .... and that i will hae to ask him to seperate the 2 eents and show how they both give me depression...how can i make a stronger arugrement for the service connected issue since the va is focused on my non service connect issues in order to denie me?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
i do have a current daignose of depression and i did before... i just need to seprerate my nono connected depresion from my service connected depression... when i filed for depresion the first time i just said i had depression from service and that it..that wsa before this site....i dont understand why they keep refering back to that denied claim when this is for my back,migrain,ankle,foot service connected issues.... i know it a claim for depression but it a different reason....? my diagnose is major depression ...i just know that the va is going to use my non service connected issue to denie me ...i fill like just giving up so many times..

You are going to have to get someone (someone being either an M.D., a D.O., a Chiropractor, a Nurse Practitioner, a Psychologist, etc.) to separate the depression arising from your back, ankle, foot (the migraine I don't know? but maybe?) from the "non-service-connected depression". And they will have to make a STRONG argument as to the reasons and the way that they come to that diagnosis.

You will have an uphill battle getting the VA to accept anything other than the fact that your "non-service-connected" is ALL of your depression, and that you do NOT have any "service-connected" depression. YOU MUST HAVE AN IMO/IME from some sort of medical professional arguing the fact that there is this depression and that it is related to your service-connected issues. How they will be able to go about this is going to be a miracle.

Not what you wanted to hear, but something that you needed to hear, from someone that has been there, done that, AND got the T-shirt!

You are going to have to get someone (someone being either an M.D., a D.O., a Chiropractor, a Nurse Practitioner, a Psychologist, etc.) to separate the depression arising from your back, ankle, foot (the migraine I don't know? but maybe?) from the "non-service-connected depression". And they will have to make a STRONG argument as to the reasons and the way that they come to that diagnosis.

You will have an uphill battle getting the VA to accept anything other than the fact that your "non-service-connected" is ALL of your depression, and that you do NOT have any "service-connected" depression. YOU MUST HAVE AN IMO/IME from some sort of medical professional arguing the fact that there is this depression and that it is related to your service-connected issues. How they will be able to go about this is going to be a miracle.

Not what you wanted to hear, but something that you needed to hear, from someone that has been there, done that, AND got the T-shirt!

ok i c...so could i try to say that my sercive connected issues were aggravated by my non service connected issue...and if so how would they rate me...

• HadIt.com Elder
ok i c...so could i try to say that my sercive connected issues were aggravated by my non service connected issue...and if so how would they rate me...

Yes, if it's true. I have no idea how they would rate you. It depends upon their examinations of you. Just remember that your going to be telling the truth, these peeps are pros at spotting BS. They ought to be, they work for the VA and are surrounded by it, even in staff meetings.

You should answer the doc's questions truthfully

and let the doc sort it out.

carlie

I am claiming depression for my service connected back,migrains, and foot and ankle. i got a letter stating they are still working on my claim. I was denied depression before but i didnt submit a reason for having it before..... I have a diagnoses from the va theriapist but its for a non service connected issue which the va knows about and stated in the letter ..The va stated that i do have a dianoses of depression and was denied it a copuple of years ago and that i need to show a connectin.. i know the va will throw the non connected issue up in the final decision since they all ready sent me this letter stating i need something to show that my service connected issue have casued me depression.... well my serivice connected issues and my non service have casued depression as the eveidence shows and the va know about my non service connected diagnoses of depression...... I have been seeing a private theriapist for about 2 months i know i will have to get some kinds of imo to get a nexus .... and that i will hae to ask him to seperate the 2 eents and show how they both give me depression...how can i make a stronger arugrement for the service connected issue since the va is focused on my non service connect issues in order to denie me?

I have basically the same issue as you, but primary cause of chronic anxiety from service related incident and secondarily from pain from back , currently under DRO review, along with other current SC pain generating issues.

Result: Kiss off, chronic anxiety not in service records, which if I wanted to stay a crew chief in tactical nuclear weapons I wouldn't go on sick call due to emotional instability. So they just said not in SMR's, click.

I let it go and followed what was in my records but I had zero luck on that. Maybe if I wanted to chase it to the four corners of the earth but I chose to devote my time and money on a more tangible claim. Obviously others have had different results and I hope you do too.

I have basically the same issue as you, but primary cause of chronic anxiety from service related incident and secondarily from pain from back , currently under DRO review, along with other current SC pain generating issues.

Result: Kiss off, chronic anxiety not in service records, which if I wanted to stay a crew chief in tactical nuclear weapons I wouldn't go on sick call due to emotional instability. So they just said not in SMR's, click.

I let it go and followed what was in my records but I had zero luck on that. Maybe if I wanted to chase it to the four corners of the earth but I chose to devote my time and money on a more tangible claim. Obviously others have had different results and I hope you do too.

not the same.. i have a non service connected diagnose of depression...i have sc pain tha cuasues me depresion ... i read ur and u have all service connected stuff,,, chroin anxiety from service and sec back..... mine is differenent i have the diagnose i need to seperate the two or say that one aggreavtes the other..