Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Special Adapted Housing Granted

Rate this topic

Dorothy Kansas

Hello Bros and Sis just thought I would give you guys an update. I was indeed granted the SAH but they did not increase my SMC. I am rated L 1/2 for A/A helplessness. I thought that I should have received something for loss of use but I guess not. They didn't even award a (K) award. Well we have to sale our home and have a sah home built. I'm scared of this process because heard horror stories. Anyone who has been through this jump in and share.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dorothy

You are correct to be suspicious of the VA, since they probably messed up, or at least delayed your benefits so far.

I recommend you enlist the help of a trusted friend, son, son in law, etc., who is knowledgeable with the VA and construction before you proceed. Ask lots of questions to your VSO, and keep a notebook of his/her answers.

Also send an "IRIS" email your specific questions, then keep a copy of their answers, so they cant later say, "I never said that". You should keep a copy of any written corresponce you send the VA, and send it certified mail return receipt requested since the VA has a long history of "loosing" Veterans critical correspondence.

A good VSO may be able to help you, tho you have to also watch them like a hawk, since some of them actually sabatoge your claims.

Hello Bros and Sis just thought I would give you guys an update. I was indeed granted the SAH but they did not increase my SMC. I am rated L 1/2 for A/A helplessness. I thought that I should have received something for loss of use but I guess not. They didn't even award a (K) award. Well we have to sale our home and have a sah home built. I'm scared of this process because heard horror stories. Anyone who has been through this jump in and share.

Dorothy,

Congrats on the SAH grant.

If you feel your SMC's should be higher, you know what to do

as they have put you through the wringer before and forced

you to learn so much.

I'll send a shout out to someone on Specially Adapted Housing

that's been through it and see if they respond, I haven't heard from

him in along time, so I don't know.

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use