VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gerd Claim

Rate this question

Rich W

Question

I wish I came to this forum before I separated 2 years ago (and looked at VBA 38 CFR). I had GERD really bad about about 10 years ago which is recorded in my SMR's. It got better but I still had heartburn which I found more recently in my SMR's. I've been suffering from severe GERD again after separating and just recently found out it can be rated as a service connected disability. Do I have a shot at filing a claim since I have a diagnosis of GERD in my SMR's and have current medical records (from a private doctor) showing I am suffering from it? I know each persons situation is different but generally speaking if I had a medical condition documented in my SMR's and currently suffer from the same condition do I have a shot?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think your odds are excellent. I'd say go for it. You've got the evidence that it occurred while you were active duty, you continue to suffer from it currently, which meets the chronicity requirement. Get your doctor to review your service medical records for GERD and make the connection to your suffering from GERD at the present time. He's got to state it's as likely as not, or even better, more likely than not, connected to your bouts with GERD during your service.

GERD is normally rated as hiatal hernia and the rating can go up to 60%

Diagnostic Code 7346.

A rating of 10 percent is awarded with two or more of the symptoms for the 30 percent evaluation of less severity.

A rating of 30 percent may be assigned for persistently recurrent epigastric distress with dysphagia, pyrosis, and regurgitation,accompanied by substernal or arm or shoulder pain, productive of considerable impairment of health.

A rating of 60 percent may be awarded for symptoms of pain, vomiting, material weight loss or hematemesis or melena with moderate anemia, or other symptom combinations productive of severe impairment of health.

Edited by pacmanx1