Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Sometimes but in 5 years I was bounced around quite a few SO's. They have a high burnout rate.

• HadIt.com Elder

My DAV office at the regional VA assigned us SO's at random. I never had a decent one in ten years. They were the laziest bunch and never returned a single phone call. I still recommend having an SO but shop around if you can before signing the POA. I think you have to win your own claim. The SO can facilitate the process if they are able to get off their asses.

At the DAV office I'm affiliated with your were assigned by your last Initial to a service officer . The DAV has the best trained service officers ,but there are lazy ones in every situations . They are by far the most overworked. Just remember it is YOUR case to win or loose . YOU have to do the leg work ,by that i mean you have to get the right information to win YOUR claim. No service officer can do it without your input . That is why you have to educate your self right here at HADIT by reading and asking questions so you can talk intelligent to your service officer and file your own paper work with a copy to your service officer.

As far as call backs on telephone ,if they returned all the calls they receive they would be on the phone constantly. They have to read every decision made by VA that they have power of attorney over, even if it means their weekend . I have met several DAVSO and have mucho respect for their work.BTW one day a week is set aside for just new training of constant new rules that are changing everyday. My two cents

• HadIt.com Elder

My recommendation is that you shop before you make a decision on an SO. Talk to the actually guy they plan to assign. If they wont let you do this I would find another organization. I could tell some stories that are very weird about SO's I have had. Not to mention names because it does not really matter. I was thrown out of an office from a large service organization telling me I was wasting their time. I changed SO's and eventually got 100% for the same condition.

The guy who represented me when I prevailed told me the first day I went into his office and showed him my SMR that if he could not get me 100% to appeal to the BVA and COVA if necessary. He thought my claim would be difficult because it was an atypical type of disability. However, he was 100% behihd me from the get go. If you can not get the SO to be excited about your case I would get another one.