Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Which One Should I Be Applying For

Rate this question

navydoc2

Question

I have questions about social security but I want to use the right terminology before I ask. Should I be applying for both SSI or SSD I am recieving VA benefits at 100% TDIU does this disqualify me for either or both? Also I have the paperwork for the determination division what should I say and how do I word it from my friends part. thanks

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I have questions about social security but I want to use the right terminology before I ask. Should I be applying for both SSI or SSD I am recieving VA benefits at 100% TDIU does this disqualify me for either or both? Also I have the paperwork for the determination division what should I say and how do I word it from my friends part. thanks

navy,

Since you are getting va compensation at 100 % that would make SSI

moot as part of the criteria is income based, so if you have an employment

record then you would file for SSD.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

navy,

Since you are getting va compensation at 100 % that would make SSI

moot as part of the criteria is income based, so if you have an employment

record then you would file for SSD.

jmho,

carlie

I last worked May of 08, but have worked going back to 15yrs old. So I would think I have the work history I hope. thanks for your reply.

• HadIt.com Elder
I last worked May of 08, but have worked going back to 15yrs old. So I would think I have the work history I hope. thanks for your reply.

As long you have worked five years of the last ten. I believe that this is the formula. Check out the SSA web page it should explain there.

As long you have worked five years of the last ten. I believe that this is the formula. Check out the SSA web page it should explain there.

There are small gaps in there due relocation but I've worked what you have said five of the last ten. So I should not even send in the SSI forms?

• HadIt.com Elder
There are small gaps in there due relocation but I've worked what you have said five of the last ten. So I should not even send in the SSI forms?

I agree with Carlie, file and let the SSA figure out the rest if you are unsure. Or contact a SS disability lawyer.