Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What To Do With Increasing Disablitiy

Rate this question

bigoc

Question

I am rated for arthritis.  My doctor has prescribed several different disease modifying drugs over the past year.  And I need to contact the VA to try to increase my rating.  

How would I do this and what supporting documentation is helpful for doing this?

Thanks for the help

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am currently being treated by a private rheumatologist and have a diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis.  My VA C&P examiner also diagnosed me with the same.  I am also diagnosed with psoriasis.  These are two separate service connections.  

What is weird is that the VA decision letter states: "Service connection for psoriatic arthritis, right hand (claimed as arthritis) has been established as directly related to military service."

Now I only see the length of time medication use for psoriasis as a cause for an increase in rating but I do not see the same listed under the arthritis code.  

The Va decision letter further states: "The examiner opined that your arthritis was at least as likely as not due to your psoriasis." Does this mean I can assume that treatment of my arthritis is also treating my psoriasis since the two conditions are connected by the VA's statement in the decision letter?

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes the hard part is done. Now you have to ask for a higher rating based on the rating criteria being used as written. In your case the medications and possibly your problems physically including spread of it should get you a much higher rating.

Good Luck

Thanks again.  It is comforting just to know that someone else thinks I am at least in the right ball park with anything that relates to the VA.  

Big,

I was doing some reading on psoriatic arthritis a while back and understand from the reading that it starts with psoriasis first then causes a type of arthritis that can effect most all joints and more. Very progressive and hard to treat.

So......don't be bashfull.....about the claim...

and remember a tough guy, when he attends a C&P, later wishes he would have leveled with the doc with respect to pain during the ROM portion of the exam.

best to ya

don

If you have been on medication of an immunosuppressive drug on a constant basis for a long time(I think 6 months), it is a 60% rating for that alone(psoriasis), outside of the psoriatic arhtritis. I am currently waiting for them to increase the rating for psoriasis as they rated me at 0% but it should be 60%. It is unbelievable that they could miss something so obvious but they did. You need to make sure you are rated separately under psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. :-)

You would think they would at least read 38 CFR.

• HadIt.com Elder

For those who should be 60% but are rated 10% for psoriasis and 10% for arthritis do they make the arthritis bilateral or do they combine both into one?

I think one of the problems is VA Doctors are treating properly but not giving a proper diagnosis