Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What To Do With Increasing Disablitiy

Rate this question

bigoc

Question

I am rated for arthritis.  My doctor has prescribed several different disease modifying drugs over the past year.  And I need to contact the VA to try to increase my rating.  

How would I do this and what supporting documentation is helpful for doing this?

Thanks for the help

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

For those who should be 60% but are rated 10% for psoriasis and 10% for arthritis do they make the arthritis bilateral or do they combine both into one?

I think one of the problems is VA Doctors are treating properly but not giving a proper diagnosis

I am not sure what you are asking :-) If one has arthritis in two limbs as part of their SC psoriatic arthritis it should be bilateral under the rating for rheumatoid arthritis.

The psoriasis should be rated completely separate as it is entirely a separate issue; thus, a 60% rating would be appropriate if one meets that definition under psoriasis.

I am hoping to clear this up.  My arthritis rating is as follows: right hand 10%, left wrist 10%.  

Is this an example of being rated bilateral or am I not following the question?

I hope that answers the question if someone can confirm my statement.

doesn't bilateral mean both sides? as in both hands, both wrists, both legs, etc?

• HadIt.com Elder
doesn't bilateral mean both sides? as in both hands, both wrists, both legs, etc?

yup

Back to the original topic of increasing the rating for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.  As I see the rating criteria, only psoriasis is increased with the use of systemic therapy.  And I have found some BVA cases where the rating is then taken down to 0% after a few years upon reevaluation.  

Would the arthritis rating stay the same?  

And since there is no mention of the likelihood of improvement in the arthritis section of my decision letter is this considered permanent?

My TBI rating has this reference listed in the decision letter but the arthritis does not mention the likelihood of improvement in that section.