Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What To Do With Increasing Disablitiy

Rate this question

bigoc

Question

I am rated for arthritis.  My doctor has prescribed several different disease modifying drugs over the past year.  And I need to contact the VA to try to increase my rating.  

How would I do this and what supporting documentation is helpful for doing this?

Thanks for the help

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The first thing that needs to be done is a comparison of your current condition and the schedule for rating disabilities to Know what to ask for. File it as an increase per the criteria in the regs.

I would file it on line under VONAPP. Send int he evidence myself. ( Obtain copies) Attach the regs that govern my issues.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

No offense, J, but a veteran should always request the maximum allowed, for that disability/condition and it should be stated that they are requesting the maximum allowed by law. How can the veteran be expected to rate himself??? He has no experience.

pr

The first thing that needs to be done is a comparison of your current condition and the schedule for rating disabilities to Know what to ask for. File it as an increase per the criteria in the regs.

I would file it on line under VONAPP. Send int he evidence myself. ( Obtain copies) Attach the regs that govern my issues.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

I do agree PR. my concern was that the Vet should Know what is wrong with them and how it stacks up against the regs as we all know the VA will low ball anyone and it happens the majority of the time.

It is Ok to ask for the moon.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

Time after time I have seen the VARO lowball Veterans by not applying the or or the Part B. If it was me I would ask for a Hearing with the increase and take all the evidence I could find.I used Vonnapt for my SMC and it went pretty fast.

I guess my question more specifically is:  Do I just write a letter requesting the increase along with the supporting documentation or is there a specific form or process?

The basic deal is the the criteria for arthritis is that if you are on disease modifying anti-inflammatory drugs(DMARD) for a period of time, it is cause for and increase to 30 and then 60 percent based on the length of time per year you use they drugs to control you condition.  

I am currently only 10% for each joint that is service connect for psoriatic arthritis.  There is reference to being started on the these drugs in my C&P exam.  I did not meet the minimum time required when I had my C&P exam.  I now have been on the drugs long enough to meet the maximum rating of 60%.  I was going to send pharmacy records as prof of length of use but I guess the prescribing physician writing a letter would be better.

• HadIt.com Elder

21-4138 Statement In Support of Claim, a fillable PDF file, you can print out and send to your VA Regional Office.

Go to the VA.gov website, look under the "forms" button, and go from there.

Once you have filled out a VONAPPS on line or have sent in an original claim (#526) then you do not have to fill out a "complete claim" ever again. Just a "simple" Statement In Support Of is all you need to file a new claim, thereby saving you AND the VA all the extra B.S.

I'd send in whatever info I had to support your claim, just staple it to your 21-4138.