Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Hardship Question

Rate this question

bm6546

Question

I am applying for the VA Hardship on Form #5655, Financial Status Report. It says on the instructions that this only applies for future out patient/in patient appointments only and does not apply to prescription co-payments. I am looking for help with my prescription co-payments. Is there a program that covers prescription help?

I am SC 0% and my claim is in Washington DC waiting for something to happen.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Brian

I've waited this long and I'm not giving up....NEVER!!

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

VETS Lady

You said,

"We did file for TDIU as he is eligible. Or so we thought. He filed his original VA claim in 2/03."

I recommend you put in an IRIS email, inquiring as to the status of the TDIU claim you filed in 2/03. Save a copy of their response. Reason: The VA loves to hornswaggle Vets on their effective dates. So, if you do get awarded TDIU and they make it another date, then you can point out that in an IRIS email back in 2009, you asked for a status on your 2/03 TDIU claim, and they said it was such and such. That is, they confirmed you filed in 2/03 and NOT at another date. You got to nail em, or they will nail you.

Whoops, re-reading my post, I left out one critical piece of info. The TDIU claim was denied. His SC all relates to DM2. When SSA reviewed his claim, they chose his shoulder surgery which would prevent him from working for at least one year. Because with SSA, they say you are 100% disabled or not at all. Why they chose the shoulder is (or so we were told) it was closest to the last date he worked.

Nueropathy is so severe his feet are numb up to the ankles with nueropathy in the hands as well, loss of strength (he needed strength for his occupation). When I mentioned this to his SO she suggested we file for the TDIU. We had no idea of what SSA had actually disabled him for as any of the 3 issues he filed under would have totally disabled him from the type of occupation he had. It just so happened they chose the shoulder.

QTC examiner for the TDIU wrote that his condition had not changed since he was 1st examined in 2/08 for the DM2. It has changed tremendously, his DM2 doc states so, but when it comes to putting fires out, the biggest one now is the appeal. We'll move forward from there.

In my hubby's case, SSD approval came before VA Disability was approved. About 2 years before.

One foot in front of the other.....

Edited by VetsLady

VetsLady and, Proud to Be

• In Memoriam

Sorry I am a little late with this. This explains the supposed outreach hardship /w means test.

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31770

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

• In Memoriam

http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/Library/pubs/IV/IV.pdf

What If I Receive A Copay Bill And Cannot Pay?

There are three options if a veteran is unable to pay the assessed copay charges:

1. Request a Waiver of Debt for past debts you owe. A Waiver of Debt can be granted when there has been a significant change in income and the veteran has experienced significant expenses for medical care for the veteran or other family members, funeral arrangements or veteran educational expenses. A Waiver of Debt excuses all existing bills, but does not prevent future charges.

A waiver must be requested in writing by completing VA Form 5655, Financial Status Report. The request must specify each copayment for which a waiver is being requested. There is no limit on the amount that the veteran can request to be waived. The veteran must request a waiver in writing within 180 days from the date on the bill. Page 4 of 4

To request a waiver, and for more information, contact the Revenue Coordinator at the VA health care facility where the veteran receives their care.

2. Request a Hardship Determination to prevent future billing. A Hardship Determination is an exemption from copay for a determined period of time. If a veteran’s current year income is substantially reduced from the prior year, a veteran may request a Hardship Determination.

Hardship Determination must be requested in writing. To request a Hardship Determination, contact the Enrollment Coordinator at the VA Medical Center where the veteran receives their care.

3. Request an Offer in Compromise. An Offer in Compromise is an offer for past debts only and acceptance of a partial payment in settlement and full satisfaction of the debt at the time the offer is made. VA will consider both the current and anticipated future income in making these determinations. Most Offers in Compromise that are accepted must be for a lump sum payment payable in full 30 days from the date of acceptance of the offer.

Offers in Compromise must be requested in writing and by completing VA Form 5655, Financial Status Report. There is no limit on the amount that the veteran can request for the Offer in Compromise. To request an Offer in Compromise, contact the Revenue Office at the VA Medical Center where the veteran receives their care.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

I am writing on behalf of my uncle. In the past year he has lost everything. He is now on a very tiny SS income. He is in the process of claim for SC disability. Is form 5655 Financial Status report the correct form for getting his prescription co-pays waived? Also, will this help for getting transportation costs reimbursed? To whom should he file this form? He is living day by day on the grace of friends.

Thank you.