VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

All Complaining Aside

Rate this question

gbennett

Question

I've been complaining to much and now I need an honest answer on what happens during and after a C&P ? How long does it take after the C&P before you hear the results and I'm curious if They will do a C&P for PTSD since I was in the PTSD Clinic in Denver for 6 weeks. My record from the clinic stated I had extreme PTSD and unemployable. These may sound like silly questions to some of you folks but I've always believed there's no such thing as a silly or stupid question. Except for the one you didn't ask.

Thanks

Gordon

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I've been complaining to much and now I need an honest answer on what happens during and after a C&P ? How long does it take after the C&P before you hear the results and I'm curious if They will do a C&P for PTSD since I was in the PTSD Clinic in Denver for 6 weeks. My record from the clinic stated I had extreme PTSD and unemployable. These may sound like silly questions to some of you folks but I've always believed there's no such thing as a silly or stupid question. Except for the one you didn't ask.

Thanks

Gordon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not 100% sure by your post if you are already SC for PTSD or not...it's sounds that you're not, but could be, in which case I would not hold my breath waiting on the VA to evaluate and rate your PTSD. You will need to open a claim specifically for PTSD and follow the typical guidelines.

As far as time is concerned, you won't get a definitive answer from anyone here, because every RO is different and every case within an individual RO takes different amounts of time to process. It is best that you play an active role in the process and follow your C-file from the RO to the doctor and back, getting copies where you can. It also helps to make some contacts within the RO to expedite your claim and to ensure that it touches the least amount of hands (IE - mailing evidence to general addresses means several other people, including the raters, will touch your file at some point)....my contact in the RO takes my wife's evidence directly from us to the raters via fax.

Also, you may want to be more specific about your condition so I, or others, can give you some specific pointers on what to expect during your exam and help you to best represent your symptoms (every disorder has a different C&P exam).

I'm not 100% sure by your post if you are already SC for PTSD or not...it's sounds that you're not, but could be, in which case I would not hold my breath waiting on the VA to evaluate and rate your PTSD.  You will need to open a claim specifically for PTSD and follow the typical guidelines.

As far as time is concerned, you won't get a definitive answer from anyone here, because every RO is different and every case within an individual RO takes different amounts of time to process.  It is best that you play an active role in the process and follow your C-file from the RO to the doctor and back, getting copies where you can.  It also helps to make some contacts within the RO to expedite your claim and to ensure that it touches the least amount of hands (IE - mailing evidence to general addresses means several other people, including the raters, will touch your file at some point)....my contact in the RO takes my wife's evidence directly from us to the raters via fax.

Also, you may want to be more specific about your condition so I, or others, can give you some specific pointers on what to expect during your exam and help you to best represent your symptoms (every disorder has a different C&P exam).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not 100% sure by your post if you are already SC for PTSD or not...it's sounds that you're not, but could be, in which case I would not hold my breath waiting on the VA to evaluate and rate your PTSD.  You will need to open a claim specifically for PTSD and follow the typical guidelines.

As far as time is concerned, you won't get a definitive answer from anyone here, because every RO is different and every case within an individual RO takes different amounts of time to process.  It is best that you play an active role in the process and follow your C-file from the RO to the doctor and back, getting copies where you can.  It also helps to make some contacts within the RO to expedite your claim and to ensure that it touches the least amount of hands (IE - mailing evidence to general addresses means several other people, including the raters, will touch your file at some point)....my contact in the RO takes my wife's evidence directly from us to the raters via fax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My C&P is for orthopedic. When I retired from the Navy I received a 10% disability due to a herniated disc. Four years ago I was diagnosed with degenerative Arthritis by my a Local Doctor. I have a copy of that report plus my medical records. My initial claim was PTSD, severe back trama and Deginerative arthritis. I have since made a seperate claim for agent orange and have an appointment next week for the agent orange exam. How do I make contacts with the RO I live 170 mi from the Hospital ???

Thanks for the help

Gordon

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks

Gordon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gordon,

I am not real familiar with your claim. However, based on what I know this is my opinion. I have not heard anything about verification of your stressors. The fact that you have a diagnosis of PTSD is only part of the battle. If the diagnosis is based on unverified stressors such as your sole recollection of the events to the psychiatrist, you may have problems verifying the stressors. I believe they way it works is that the Navy would have to help you with stressor verification. Notations in your personnel file as to the fact that you were in a combat zone and or you were a pilot, medical corpsman, on river boats or some other job that would put you in a combat zone, otherwise you would need stressor verification. Get your SO to help you with this.

As far as agent orange goes you would need to have been in particular parts of Viet Nam during specific time periods or handling the chemicals as part of your job. I am not sure where to get the qualifying info. However, I am sure it can be found on the internet or possibly hadit’s main page. Get your SO to help you with this also.

The system works differently depending on your combat status. I talked with a veteran this morning who was a Marine in Viet Nam late in ‘67 and early parts of ‘68. He was a combat veteran. He went to the VA hospital about a year ago because his feet were numb. He had not seen a doctor in prior decades. His primary doctor told him he had type II diabetes and neuropathy and referred him for a psych evaluation because he told the primary doctor he drank a lot. At the psych evaluation they told him they want to screen him for PTSD. The veteran asked them what PTSD was. He filed a claim and went in the program. In less than a year he was awarded 40% for the medical and 60% for PTSD. He had no SO, no C&P exams. They used the hospital reports to service connect and rate his claim.

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary complications

• HadIt.com Elder

I know at my VARO once you have the C&P you get your official decision pretty quick. I don't think there is any standard time but I always got mine within a few months of the C&P exam. The C&P exam is one of the last steps in the process at least for increases in established claims.