Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression & Gaf

Rate this question

jecsb4

Question

Is there a correlation between a GAF and your rating for depression (NOS)?

I would think there is, but I am not sure. I am currently rated SC 30 % for Dep and submitted an IMP. The C&P states my GAF is 60. The IMO Dr will not write about percentages but it is a good IMP. Would I be increased to 50 or 70%?

I have read the GAF verbage and rating criteria but can’t seem to find out if there is a matrix matching the two up with a percentage.

Alco the C&P said there was no correlation between my depression and anxiety!

Should I do a separate claim for anxiety? The VA gives me sleeping and anxiety pills!

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

IMHO the VA "cops out" on this one. I agree with you. With hearing loss, for example, the Audiologist writes down the numbers, and then you can look them up in the chart and arrive at a rating disability percentage.

However, the VA does not have a chart where a GAF of ____ is worth _____ percentage. It would seem fairer if they did do that, since the way it is done now, is pretty much "shoot from the hip". I dont think the VA will change that, they will argue that will hurt the Veteran, but I doubt that having a fair set of rules to apply system wide, in all regional offices would somehow hurt the Veteran, unless those numbers are unreasonable. The hearing loss numbers are unreasonable, as you not only have to be deaf to get hearing loss compensation, but they would prefer you also be blind and missing limbs as well.

• HadIt.com Elder

My simple opinion - could be. Its all individual and up to the professionals really, the way I see it. The GAF % numbers only seem to 'categorize' the GAF 'definitions' to a individual. The GAF definitions seem to connect one description of the client and that seem to connect to the ratings - but again, the professionals and the raters connect the 'wording.' I haven't seen physchological conditions 'numbered' exactly, because each is so specific to the individual. (example 60% gaf doesnt equal 60% mh rating).

Maybe someone else can discuss the depression and anxiety - could be they arent related? dunno here.

Best to ya,

Cg'up2009!

p.s. what diagnosis was given on your C&P?

I would think there is, but I am not sure. I am currently rated SC 30 % for Dep and submitted an IMP. The C&P states my GAF is 60. The IMO Dr will not write about percentages but it is a good IMP. Would I be increased to 50 or 9--70%?

I have read the GAF verbage and rating criteria but can't seem to find out if there is a matrix matching the two up with a percentage.

Should I do a separate claim for anxiety? The VA gives me sleeping and anxiety pills!

Edited by cowgirl

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

I would think there is, but I am not sure. I am currently rated SC 30 % for Dep and submitted an IMP. The C&P states my GAF is 60. The IMO Dr will not write about percentages but it is a good IMP. Would I be increased to 50 or 70%?

I have read the GAF verbage and rating criteria but can’t seem to find out if there is a matrix matching the two up with a percentage.

I found this on another vets site but hey I don't know how accurate it is but it is informational:

Here is a basic explanation on what the numbers actually mean:

GAF

100-91

Superior functioning in a wide range of activities. Life's problems never seem to get out of hand, is sought out by others because of his or her many positive qualities. No symptoms.

90-81

Absent or minimum symptoms (e.g. mild anxiety before an exam), good functioning in all areas, interested and involved in a wide range of activities, socially effective, generally satisfied with life, no more than everyday problems or concerns ("e.g.. an occasional argument with family members)

80-71

If symptoms are present, they are transient and expectable reactions to psychosocial stressors (e.g., difficulty concentrating after family argument); no more than slight impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g temporarily falling behind in schoolwork).

70-61

Some mild symptoms (e.g., depressed mood and mild insomnia) OR some difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., occasional truancy, or theft within the household), but generally functioning pretty well, has some meaningful interpersonal relationships.

60-51

Moderate symptoms (e.g.. flat affect and circumstantial speech, occasional panic attacks) OR moderate difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., few friends, conflicts with peers or co-workers).

50-41

Serious symptoms(e.g., suicidal ideation, severe obsessional rituals, frequent shoplifting) OR any serious impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., no friends, unable to keep a job).

40-31

Some impairment in reality testing or communication (e.g... speech is at times illogical, obscure, or irrelevant) OR major impairment in several areas, such as work or school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood (e.g depressed man avoids friends, neglects family, and is unable to work: child frequently beats up younger children. Is defiant at home, and is failing at school).

30-21

Behavior is considerably influenced by delusions or hallucinations OR serious impairment in communications or judgment (e.g., sometimes incoherent, acts grossly inappropriately, suicidal preoccupation) OR inability to function in almost all areas. (e.g. stays in bed all day; no job, home, or friends).

20-11

Some danger of hurting self or others (e.g., suicide attempts without clear expectation of death, frequency violent; manic excitement) OR occasionally fails to maintain minimal personal hygiene (e.g smears feces) OR gross impairment in communication (e.g. largely incoherent or mute.)

10-0

Persistent danger of severely hurting self or others. (e.g. recurrent violence) OR recurrent inability to maintain minimal personal hygiene OR Serious suicidal act with clear expectation of death.

What does the GAF mean to my overall rating?

Well, its subjective. some people get a GAF of 45 and receive a 100% rating and others with a GAF of 45 could end up with a 50% rating. Its really just a guide.

If you would like to see a general guide on how the GAF may correspond to ratings here it is:"The rule of thumb for the amounts the VA assigns for psychiatric disabilities is:

GAF Percentage

0-40=100%

41-50=70%

51-60=50%

61-70=30%

71-80=10%

81-100=0%

Raters may choose to ignore this, but it does give you a general idea of where you stand.

Edited by stillhere

• HadIt.com Elder

I think depression and anxiety would be considered pyramiding you are dealing with mental health issues and they are just going to rate for the highest percentage period. I don't know which RO you are dealing with but with a GAF of 60 many veterans have been awarded 10% there are also other things taken into consideration on awarding percentages your job and does it affect it how long have you been employed by the same company, how do you get along with friends and family etc there are many factors the GAF does not necessarily merit a 50% award or a 70% award but then again I have seen veterans with GAFs of 30 awarded 50% and havent worked in 2 years with a good SO and a NOD it is usually awarded a higher percentage there are so many variables with depression and anxeity claims throw in some OCD and other issues and a tough Regional office and you end up with low ratings If you are seeing a private shrink and have them write an Independent Medical Opinion thats one thing but I would not spend a few thousand dollars if I was in your shoes for an IMO.

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Here is the rating schedule for mental disorders, anxiety and depression (NOS) both fall under it and VA will only service connect the dominant disorder. Match the rating to your current conditions and this is what you should be rated.

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name 100%

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a work-like setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships 70%

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships 50%

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events) 30%

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled by continuous medication 10%

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication 0%

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.