Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

USMC_HVEQ

Question

SOme back ground on me: I'm curious about finding out if I have sleep apnea. I have PTSD/HTN and would consider myself obese. I have been told by plenty of friends/family that my snoring is so loud that they can hear me through the floor/walls/other side of the house. I never thought I had it before coming home from Iraq in 2005. I have gained well over 150 lbs as well. My snoring is from my mouth being open I think, not sure. I have tons of sleep issues with nightmares and other ailments (shoulders). I hardly ever feel "rested".

My questions are:

How do you go about requesting a sleep study to either rule out sleep apnea or diagnose it (OSA)?

What happens at a sleep study?

What role does Sleep apnea play in weight gain?

If diagnosed with OSA, how do I service connect it? (i know this is a reaching statement and I probably be diagnosed before moving on..I have PTSD HTN and other issues, totaling 80% comp.

I am more looking to just get it diagnosed and fixed rather then worrying about being compensated for it. ALthough if it can be then so be it.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I apologize if this is listed in the wrong section. I think it should be moved to claims research instead on Agent Orange. I never meant for it to be under Agent Orange, guess I read a topic and started it in wrong section. I apologize about that.

I went to mental health and my doctor wanted to change my meds. again and I told him no, I would like another sleep study. The first one I had at the VAMC, they stuck a few electrodes on me and told me to go to sleep but that night I did not sleep long enough to get a valid test. The second and third tests I done was in my home for over a three night period, the second came back as a high pre test and the third came back as severe sleep apnea.

1. Ask your mental health doctor to give you a consult for a sleep study.

2. VAMC will set you up for a sleep study at the VAMC or in your home, at the VAMC they will place electrodes on you and tell you to go to sleep. The electrodes are just monitors the VA uses to record how you sleep, no pain at all. The in home device they send you is just a device you attach to your head and it may blow air in your nose and records your sleeps, then you mail it back to whomever sent it to you.

3. Being overweight can play a big factor in sleep apnea, depression including PTSD can be linked together with sleep apnea, also your medication for depression can contribute to sleep apnea

If you are diagnosed with sleep apnea and given a CPAP machine and then awarded service connection it is at least 50%

If I am wrong others will chime in.

Edited by pacmanx1

thanks for the response Pete. I think that information is very useful. I just want to get a handle on this. It's been nagging me for almost 5 yrs now. I heard being overweight is a huge factor. Yes, PTSD/Depression has been huge and another issue to my weight gain. I'm suppose to be on Sertraline, but can never get an appointment with VA pysch, always get the pyschologists. I just want to sleep better and not scare people with how loud I snore. I will try and get an appt with VA primary care to set up sleep study.

thanks to the moderators for putting this in the correct section. I called my PCP at the VA. I have to have blood work done prior to my initial appointment, which won't be until November 12th. I am going to ask the PCP if he can have a sleep study ordered for me. I also need to get back into PTSD counseling (1 on 1) and group. I also want to set up a meeting with a nutrionist/dietition, as I'm motivated to get my life back together.

thanks again for your help.

• HadIt.com Elder
thanks to the moderators for putting this in the correct section. I called my PCP at the VA. I have to have blood work done prior to my initial appointment, which won't be until November 12th. I am going to ask the PCP if he can have a sleep study ordered for me. I also need to get back into PTSD counseling (1 on 1) and group. I also want to set up a meeting with a nutrionist/dietition, as I'm motivated to get my life back together.

thanks again for your help.

Good Morning USMC HVEQ.... it looks like you can't sleep sometimes either. It's 3:55 am, my time. Sometimes meds can cause weight gain. Best wishes, and Good luck with getting your life back together. You can do it...

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

Just finished my annual physical through the VA. I am 50% PTSD, 10% tinitus. My VA doctor recommended an in home sleep study. I finished that and have been confirmed with sleep apnea and scheduled for a night in the VA hospital to set me up for a cpap machine. Start by asking your local clinic to provide you an in home test.