Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Playing P&t Games Again

Rate this question

dav_marine72

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Well just when you think you can stop stressing the VA makes you stress again. I'm not sure how many of you so my posts within the last month but here is the deal.

My American legion rep goes up to the VARO and signs off on a September 16, 2009 decision granting a few things including TDIU and dependents educational assistance (DEA). Under the grant of DEA it states a Veteran is eligible for DEA when he or she is discharged under other than dishonorable conditions and has a permanent and total service connected disability.

I receive a grant letter dated September 18, 2009 with all the above minus the DEA award.

I call my SO and he says no your P&T.

I go to the VARO in the next couple of days and ask for a copy of my latest rating decision. I get a copy of the September 16, 2009 decision showing the grant of DEA. However, the rep won't tell me if I am P&T. He says I can tell you is that you are TDIU and have DEA benefits and he underlined them. I go down to my American Legion rep and he says by establishing DEA they have rated you P&T and you are eligible for champva. The only way you can get DEA is though P&T. I said why doesn't it say P&T directly on the letter. He says this is how they have been awarded P&T now. They used to actually spell out P&T.

Then since I filled out a release that day a few days later I get the September 18, 2009 rating decision again without the DEA.

So I'm cool and happy and file my CHAMPVA application. Then I call this morning and find out its denied because they say I'm not P&T.

I called my AL rep and leave a message. He tells me he went up to the RO and saw the September 18th decision without the DEA grant. However the code that was on the sheet he signed off on was P&T. He pleaded my case and we are waiting to hear back. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Marine72

I have foot problems as well similar to you. When the pods start talking surgery for tarsal tunnel syndrome they just want money. Don't let the clowns operate on your feet. It could take up to a year to heal and you might be worse off afterwards. The real surgery for pes cavus would be to lower your arch. You can imagine what that would entail. I think it would be major surgery with 50/50 chance of successful outcome. I had failed shoulder surgery and failed wrist surgery. That is enough for me. Surgeons can fix the mechanical defects but not fix the pain which is what drives you to get the operation. There is a condition called "failed back surgery syndrome" it is so common. The do the surgery and the person still is in pain and disabled only now they have scar tissue.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks John. I would never have surgery on my feet. I am in that failed back surgery syndrome group. Took me two surgeries to realize they usually make you worse. Oh well I guess if I'm going to be in pain and live a crappy live I will just have to make sure the VA pays me every cent I am entitled too :D