Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-file Review

Rate this question

Vync

Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I called the 800 number and asked them how I go about reviewing my c-file and the told me it is at thr RO. they said no appointment is required, just drive over and they will be able to help me out. I took today off and drove to the Montgomery RO. The guy at the front desk said the people at the 800 number were wrong. He said I have to turn in a request and wait until someone calls me. He offered to let me speak with a supervisor, so I did. the supervisor said the same thing. He said the files are stored in a different building and there is a lot that happens to get the files. He estimated that it wll take a few months to get a copy of my file. He was very respectful, but it stinks that I wasted a day to drive down here. I am now waiting to visit with a DAV representative. Hopefully they will be able to review my claim and turn my day into less of a waste.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You should be able to make an appointment to review your file with a VA Councilor and that should not take months. They will sit with you and make a few copies of things you may need. Not the same as a complete copy but better than nothing. These guys who were respectful should have told you that.

Call the 800 Number and ask for an appointment to review your file.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Good luck, I made an appointment with my VARO I think it was 2 years ago to review everything, as they never sent me my complete C-File with numerous requests...I drove over 157 miles one way, and they told me too bad copy machine was broke! :D Yeah right a 4 story building and only 1 copy machine...So then they got pissed off when I wanted to look at it...about 45 minutes later they said that was long enough, we can't pay someone to watch you look at your file and flag all the copies you don't have!! I was livid..so I asked to speak to the manager and he assurred me they would send me a complete file. The following week I received a copy...is it complete???Who knows.

While I was there the staff had a carry-in and all were concentrating on getting the goodies...as other vets sat waiting, and waiting. BS!! :)

I called the 800 number and asked them how I go about reviewing my c-file and the told me it is at thr RO. they said no appointment is required, just drive over and they will be able to help me out. I took today off and drove to the Montgomery RO. The guy at the front desk said the people at the 800 number were wrong. He said I have to turn in a request and wait until someone calls me. He offered to let me speak with a supervisor, so I did. the supervisor said the same thing. He said the files are stored in a different building and there is a lot that happens to get the files. He estimated that it wll take a few months to get a copy of my file. He was very respectful, but it stinks that I wasted a day to drive down here. I am now waiting to visit with a DAV representative. Hopefully they will be able to review my claim and turn my day into less of a waste.

I plan to make an appointment to review my file, but first will request a copy of it. I'll bounce the copy against what I have and then go down there to see what's missing.

Also, they told me the medical treatment records are stored at the medical center, so I have to request those separately.

The most interesting thing of all was the number of employees (with badges) who were wandering the halls and socializing.

The DAV rep reviewed my SOC's and said what so many of you have told me already: get a nexus statement

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am building up the strength to request copies of my C-file, for my appeal. I feel stressed, just thinking about going down and filling out the release of info -privacy act request. I don't want to get ten feet from the place. However, I know that no one knows my claim better than me. I have till February of next year to revoke my power of attorney, and file my own NOD..... Good luck on your claims.

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

• HadIt.com Elder
I am building up the strength to request copies of my C-file, for my appeal. I feel stressed, just thinking about going down and filling out the release of info -privacy act request. I don't want to get ten feet from the place. However, I know that no one knows my claim better than me. I have till February of next year to revoke my power of attorney, and file my own NOD..... Good luck on your claims.

You can file your own NOD anytime you want to. You do not have to revoke your POA......whomever is your POA will simply remain your POA....but you have the UNrevokable power to act as your own attorney at any time.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

I am drafting up my NOD.

If I placed my request via IRIS, how long does it really take to get them to send a copy of my C-file?

My latest SOC denial is only about two weeks old and don't want to take a chance on them taking so long that my NOD time limit expires.