Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Clinic Records

Rate this question

Jayg

Question

While at Ft. Knox I was permanent party in the traning center. Most of my medical care was done at the local Clinics. I have some of my health records including those from the main hospital. But I don't have those from the clinics and they Haven't come from NARA.

Can anyone suggest where to search for those???

Thanks.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

By clinics, you mean outpatient clinics? Inpatient records eventually end up at NARA. Outpatient records are in your STRs (service treatment records)

Depending on when you separated, your records either went to NARA or directly to the VA. you can look on NARA's site for the exact dates, but I think all US Army STRs post-1992 (pretty sure they started in '92) went to the VA--specifically, the VA serving the address you gave on your DD214.

By clinics, you mean outpatient clinics? Inpatient records eventually end up at NARA. Outpatient records are in your STRs (service treatment records)

Depending on when you separated, your records either went to NARA or directly to the VA. you can look on NARA's site for the exact dates, but I think all US Army STRs post-1992 (pretty sure they started in '92) went to the VA--specifically, the VA serving the address you gave on your DD214.

Thanks, I ETS'd in '81. So far, after recieving 4 copies of my records, those haven't turned up yet. It might matter 'cause while there some sod tried to rob me by hitting me on top of the head (bloody amateur) with a length of sawed off entrenching tool handle (the old wooden type). I did almost pass out a couple hours later (hard head <_< ) and was sent to dispensary next day. Might explain bouts of confusion??

yeah...mild TBI, PTSD

was it reported to the police / MP's? You should be able to get a copy of the police report. Any witnesses you still correspond with?

have you filed a claim with the VA in the past?

yeah...mild TBI, PTSD

was it reported to the police / MP's? You should be able to get a copy of the police report. Any witnesses you still correspond with?

have you filed a claim with the VA in the past?

Nahhh. No witnesses, no MP report (it happened on-post), nuthin. Haven't corresponded with any of those folks since '77 when I left Knox. I was in barracks later that evening when it hit me in waves. I fell on the floor and really had to struggle to remain concious (don't really know if I did for that matter) But when my head cleared, that was all.

The next day, I went to work with a 'goose egg' on my head and my hat tilted lightly over it. when my NCO's heard what had happened they sent me to clinic. The doctor said apparently and fortunately I did not have a concussion. Not something you want to sleep on I understand. I was warned to go to hospital if ever I took such a knock again and was returned to duty.

One fellow I was with then was a former Ohio State Trooper. He might, might a say be found. Being a former peace officer he might conceivably recall the incident. I doubt me much one buddy letter would a successful claim make. <_<

I'd file

you need to keep tracking down those records...they should have gone to NPRC, but if you have filed for pretty much anything from the VA, they might have requested your records. An IRIS query would answer the question fairly quickly. anything outpatient should be in your medical records--STRs--the only thing not in there would be clinical inpatient (as in admitted to the hospital) notes/records.

A buddy letter adds to your medical records. Also, the VA is supposed to give additional weight to buddy letters when records are missing. Also, by filing the VA will have to start searching for records as well and they may (or may not) have better luck (by going to better source).

re-request records from NPRC. be specific as to the dates and where you were. ask for your personnel records (which, again, may be at the VA if you have filed for any type of benefit before, again, ask the VA through IRIS--better results and leaves a paper trail for your benefit). specify in your request that you need a full and complete copy of your records, NOT a partital or edited file (which NRPC will do on occasion to save time/paper--except that it doubles everyone's work when you really need a full copy, not just what they think you need).

if you decide to file, submit an informal claim--again, using IRIS--you establish an effective date and now have a year to file the formal claim with retro payable to the informal claim date.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had about 5 months of psychiatric records from HAAF near FT Stewart that just disappeared. I called HAAF and they say St. Louis has them. I request them from St. Louis and then never heard of it. I say they destroyed them all. 40 years later what do I do?