VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got Ssdi, Now How To Get Va To Say More Than 30%?

Rate this question

nukenight

Question

I have been dealing with the Seattle VARO for many years, and just had my claim for increase in SC disability rejected after being out of work for 4 months with Severe Major Depression. I also submitted for SSDI from SSA, and was approved yesterday. My question is that given that both outfits had virtually the same information to go on, why did SSA approve me and VA not?

Also, is there anyway that since both agencies criteria for disability on mental disorders are virtually identical, that I can use the SSA evaluation to blundgeon the VA into the same type of disability determination? I've been told that SSA is much the harder of the two, but in my case, it seems just the opposite. Can any one help or provide me with some additional information on this rather reversed situation?

Thanks All

Nukenight@hotmail.com

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Mine is the other side of yours ... the VA gave me 70% and IU i applied for SSD and with my 5 year medical at the VA and an outside doctor to beef up the medical i still got turned down and that was two years ago and i am still waiting for my day in court..

• HadIt.com Elder

Now that you have the SSD determination, use it, submit a copy as evicdence to the VARO, it should carry "great" weight in the detrminations they make, if SSD says you are totally disabled you are, they do NOT deal in %'s, either you are or you're not. Submit it and see what happens.

As TestVEt stated, send your SSDI award letter to your VARO and ask for a reconsideration. Your SSDI must contain your VA service connected conditions, or you will be just wasting the cost of a stamp.

Patrick

I have been dealing with the Seattle VARO for many years, and just had my claim for increase in SC disability rejected after being out of work for 4 months with Severe Major Depression. I also submitted for SSDI from SSA, and was approved yesterday. My question is that given that both outfits had virtually the same information to go on, why did SSA approve me and VA not?

Also, is there anyway that since both agencies criteria for disability on mental disorders are virtually identical, that I can use the SSA evaluation to blundgeon the VA into the same type of disability determination? I've been told that SSA is much the harder of the two, but in my case, it seems just the opposite. Can any one help or provide me with some additional information on this rather reversed situation?

Thanks All

Nukenight@hotmail.com

I have the exact other way with the VA appoval at 70% IU and PT and a 3rd turn down from SSD

• HadIt.com Elder

Nuke:

If you are service connected for the same condition as you already have you rated as 30% the VARO has no wiggle room but to grant you 100% either by schedular or TDIU. When you ask them to grant it be sure and ask them to back date to the longest time you have been rated.

If it was me I would make copies of your SS award and if available copies of their reasons for granting it and go to the VARO and ask the SO at the VARO to help you get it.

Good Luck