VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

ATVer

Question

I posted this in another forum, no response, so I figured i'd post here too. I'm going this week to file a PTSD claim. I was never treated for anything while on active duty. What all do i need to get the ball rolling, DD-214 and what else? I also want to file for TBI and tinnitus, but PTSD is my main concern. Do i file them all at the same time i'm guessing?

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You should get corrected DD215 to show the CAR. Having a CAR will make it much easier. Do you have orders awarding the CAR?

I'll have to search for that. The regs for it changed about a year after i left, it's a good guess that's gone to the wind B) . Would civilian doctors diagnosis work?

I read something about an amendment for ptsd stressor proof, if the claimed stressor is consistent with the places, types and circumstances of the veterans service and the veterans symptoms are related to the claimed stressor. Anyone know about this amendment?

You are referring to the new proposed change to PTSD stressors.

I do not think this will apply to any veteran except those involved in OIF/ OEF.

I think the CAR should be on my husband's DD 215 but have not pursued that yet-

USMC was not awarding CAR until maybe 2 years after he left Vietnam.

John is right- a CAR on a DD 215 will make the PTSD claim easier-otherwise you will still have to state your stressors in detail and the VA will have them verified by Joint Services Records Research Center.

You only need one verified stressor .

Here is the form to apply for a DD 215. Just put Not applicable on the Injustice part.

sorry here is the DD 149 with which to apply for a DD 215.

It took about 3 months for my husband to get his DD 215 (and find our he had 4 more awards from service than he thought)

dd0149.pdf

Thanks for the form! I'm an OIF veteran, our CAR was revised to honor those who come under fire with IED's and mortars. Is there a way to contact the Joint Services Records Research Center, or is that the V.A.'s thing?

VA says they will do that but I have read claims where the vet was denied because the VA failed to contact JSRRC.

You could do that yourself-also I believe there is a fee to hire someone at NARA to help verify records and unit stuff.

Philip Rogers here I believe could advise better on that.

No reason you cant verify the stressor yourself directly with JSRRC:

US Army and Joint Services Records Research Center

7701 Telegraph Road

Kingman Building Room 2C08

Alexandria, Va 22315-3802 `1-703-428-6801

Records for USMC are kept separately at

Marine Corps Archives and Special Collections

Alfred M. Gray Research Center

2040 Broadway Street MCCDC

Quantico, Va 22134-5107

1-703-784-4685 or 1-703-784- 4538

Fax 1-703-784-4665

If you are Marine and Quantico above number and Archives cant help- I have the contact infio for the Commandant of USMC- one more way for USMC to find records.

Be as detailed as possible as to unit, time and place, names of any KIA,or WIA etc etc

A vet here some time ago was denied and with above info he verified his stressors himself via JSRRC and was awarded.

Edited by Berta