Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Where's My Gaf's Now ?

Rate this question

halos2

Question

Have anyone noticed the psychologists do not include GAF's on medical/psychological visits records anymore?

I get copies of all my medical records and visits at least once a month for all visits that month. I have been asking my psychologists where the GAF? they all said they do not utalize the use of it on their records. This has been over a year now.

I even asked for them to put it on at least one as my appointments records and they state they won't. They say too much emphasis has been placed on using the #'s in the past and they are not likely to be used during normal counseling sessions.

I told them I didn't want to leave anything open for the VA to come in and reduce my % for not having verification, and not having #'s documented, and they said, we don't use that system anymore.

This is 3 different ones, 2 at one VAMC, and 1 at another VAMC.

I told them my appointment mail that comes to my house each month has typed across the top "Needs New Gaf." But no one will put it in!

Anyone else experiencing this??

• Answers 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Carlie, I know what you are saying. All 3 of my previous psychologists always werote them in. Since jun 08 when I had to get new one's these 3 say they do not utalize them in their documentation. In fact they don't even use axis info. Just put in problems, diagnoses, summary, and sign off. Many times it is just 1 piece of paper for my records.

Before they would type 2-3-4 pages. I am concerned with the vageness of the records could be misconstruded as "improvement" which if anything my condition is so freaking worse.

That is my worry with the LACK OF DOCUMENTATION AS WELL AS NO GAF, especially as my appointment records ASK FOR IT!!

Halos,

I see this as a valid concern. Have you asked your VA shrinks why the change in policy when you know from being on vet boards online that this is not the usual practice at other VAs. I would ask for a copy of the policy change or directive that they are operating under. I would hate to see this be a "test site" for dispensing with the GAF score.

When I was working my claim I had never heard of a GAF score and in researching VA cases I found that when it is high the VA uses it against the vet and when it is low the VA ignores it and quotes other evidence - there were court cases supporting both sides of the GAF evidence which just drove me nuts. Plus, even though a shrink gives you a GAF, it is still subjective to a large degree. You throw in a rater with a degree in history and it can go downhill fast.

Let us know what you find out. The more your records leave your rating up to a VA raters evaluation the more concerned I would get if I were in your shoes. I am lucky - my spouse works so I can use my VA to self pay for a very good local shrink who wrote my IMO when the VA ignored the C&P examiner's comments about my being 100% total occ/soc impaired. So even when you have a good C&P exam the VA can somehow ignore it.

Keep us posted,

TS Snave

Thanks TS Snave. It's with the newbies that have been hired here duing the last 11 months. The oldies wrote it all the time. The newbies all say we don't use the old way of documenting...no Axis...No GAF's recorded...just summaries.

I am on them like flies on a dab of honey. My next appt is in 2 weeks I am going to stand my ground...No GAF and No Talking!!

I have been more than cordial asking/requesting and almost pleeding as I have been shafted by some raters in the past and don't want to subject myself to anything of this nature which could potentially fu*k up my claims, and granted disability compensation. I don't want to get labeled a trouble maker, but just type in the freaking # and I will be calm!!

Halos,

I see this as a valid concern. Have you asked your VA shrinks why the change in policy when you know from being on vet boards online that this is not the usual practice at other VAs. I would ask for a copy of the policy change or directive that they are operating under. I would hate to see this be a "test site" for dispensing with the GAF score.

When I was working my claim I had never heard of a GAF score and in researching VA cases I found that when it is high the VA uses it against the vet and when it is low the VA ignores it and quotes other evidence - there were court cases supporting both sides of the GAF evidence which just drove me nuts. Plus, even though a shrink gives you a GAF, it is still subjective to a large degree. You throw in a rater with a degree in history and it can go downhill fast.

Let us know what you find out. The more your records leave your rating up to a VA raters evaluation the more concerned I would get if I were in your shoes. I am lucky - my spouse works so I can use my VA to self pay for a very good local shrink who wrote my IMO when the VA ignored the C&P examiner's comments about my being 100% total occ/soc impaired. So even when you have a good C&P exam the VA can somehow ignore it.

Keep us posted,

TS Snave

Halos,

I would caution you against your "No GAF No Talking" plan. That could get you labeled as uncooperative and seeking claims evidence at the expense of treatment.

How about using your session to ask the newbie shrink how to go about getting your GAF recorded regularly if they are only writing summaries. If he/she doesn't know, then ask them how you go about getting on the clinic direcotr's calendar to discuss your concern with them. Let your shrink know that other vets are still getting GAFs in other VA facilities and state your conerns about how this will affect your claim.

IOW, try to get the newbie shrink to be a part of the solution. They are there to help you with your issues and right now the anxiety you feel over the GAF no longer being annotated is your primary presenting issue. If they are new they may not understand the arduous claims process we go through. The facts of the claims process supports your concern. Get them to help you find a solution.

I sincerely believe that your No GAF No Talking plan will get you Nowhere and potentially cause you more trouble in the long run. I realize others will advocate jumping up and down on the shrinks desk, etc. I'd just like to give you another approach to consider.

If you don't get resolution by asking the shrink for their help and by talking to the clinic director then I would make a formal written request through both the clinic chain of command and the patient advocate asking for clarification and a copy of the reglation or directive that supports the change in policy on annotating GAF scores.

You have rights as a VA patient - they are literally posted at the entrace of every VA facility. But the minute you stop talking then that's when YOU have stopped communicating and I do not think that will get you anywhere. JMHO.

Take care and keep us posted,

TS

PS - How old are you? What is your psych dx?

Halos2,

Another thing you could mention that not getting a GAF is becoming a real stressor in your life; which is nothing but the truth. Bring in the paperwork to show them that you are supposed to be getting a GAF score for your sessions, because it seems that they need to be led by the nose. It is extremely easy for them to say we don't do that, without even researching, because researching would entail more work for them. So if you want the GAF score, do the research for them, and give the results of the research to them. jmo...

Louis

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

I will talk and take your suggestions. Diplomatic approach usage hopefully will get me somewhere. 59 yrs. ptsd chronic, mst, major depressive disorder, ocd, hoarding, anxiety disorder, panic disorder...

Bonzi I will use your suggestion too about how this is stressing me out greatly..so please give me the damn #...thanks.

quote name='tssnave' date='Dec 7 2009, 08:17 AM' post='179522']

Halos,

I would caution you against your "No GAF No Talking" plan. That could get you labeled as uncooperative and seeking claims evidence at the expense of treatment.

How about using your session to ask the newbie shrink how to go about getting your GAF recorded regularly if they are only writing summaries. If he/she doesn't know, then ask them how you go about getting on the clinic direcotr's calendar to discuss your concern with them. Let your shrink know that other vets are still getting GAFs in other VA facilities and state your conerns about how this will affect your claim.

IOW, try to get the newbie shrink to be a part of the solution. They are there to help you with your issues and right now the anxiety you feel over the GAF no longer being annotated is your primary presenting issue. If they are new they may not understand the arduous claims process we go through. The facts of the claims process supports your concern. Get them to help you find a solution.

I sincerely believe that your No GAF No Talking plan will get you Nowhere and potentially cause you more trouble in the long run. I realize others will advocate jumping up and down on the shrinks desk, etc. I'd just like to give you another approach to consider.

If you don't get resolution by asking the shrink for their help and by talking to the clinic director then I would make a formal written request through both the clinic chain of command and the patient advocate asking for clarification and a copy of the reglation or directive that supports the change in policy on annotating GAF scores.

You have rights as a VA patient - they are literally posted at the entrace of every VA facility. But the minute you stop talking then that's when YOU have stopped communicating and I do not think that will get you anywhere. JMHO.

Take care and keep us posted,

TS

PS - How old are you? What is your psych dx?

Edited by halos2