Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Where's My Gaf's Now ?

Rate this question

halos2

Question

Have anyone noticed the psychologists do not include GAF's on medical/psychological visits records anymore?

I get copies of all my medical records and visits at least once a month for all visits that month. I have been asking my psychologists where the GAF? they all said they do not utalize the use of it on their records. This has been over a year now.

I even asked for them to put it on at least one as my appointments records and they state they won't. They say too much emphasis has been placed on using the #'s in the past and they are not likely to be used during normal counseling sessions.

I told them I didn't want to leave anything open for the VA to come in and reduce my % for not having verification, and not having #'s documented, and they said, we don't use that system anymore.

This is 3 different ones, 2 at one VAMC, and 1 at another VAMC.

I told them my appointment mail that comes to my house each month has typed across the top "Needs New Gaf." But no one will put it in!

Anyone else experiencing this??

• Answers 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Testvet, It is a luxury at my VAMC because they only have 2 and one is the Medical Director of the Behavioral unit and Outpatient. So therefore the biggest majority of us see psychologists. I know a male Viet Nam vet who has major issues and he sees both. I have issues, however never did get to "counsel" with any but psychologists. No disrespect here, just facts, we don't have enough of them here in Mo. at my VAMC. NP do med orders and psychiatrists sign off on them.

(however I did see an intern one time when I first came to this VAMC and she initiated the medication orders but never another one)

BTW my psychologists did write my GAF score in all appts before I got these new ones. Have no clues why they did it but they all did. Maybe cause they were "older?" Haven't a clue.

Halos, I am sorry you are having a bad time getting a GAF but me seeing a psychiatrist is NOT a luxury, I have one strange screwed up history due to my Army service, I see the Chief of Pyschiatry and have ever since I walked in the door of the VA because of my unique history. First of all he didn't believe me and accused me of seeing "pink elephants flying" a month later I got a copy of my med vol record froma FOIA request that showed him I was used in the MKULTRA experiments. Occasionally when he has a new resident he will let them sit in on my sessions, but he has been there for me when they have locked me down, when I have been suicidal, and some times when I am just flat loosing it. He is the one that makes the appts he can turn me over to any other person in the mental health clinic but he won't because of my abuse in the past, he also finds the fact that I still have hallucinations 40 years later fascinating. I don't, it bugsme I can't get my drivers license back due to them, but then I really shouldn't be driving when they occur sometimes they last seconds and other times for several minutes......he has no explanation and I know I never did an acid any other time in my life, so it's one of life's mysteries.....by the way the VARO would not even discuss the human experiments or the exposures they ignored that part of the claim and never addressed it, they gave me 100% P&T and closed my file, thats when I had to get the lawyer for the heart problems and she was real good.....my claim took 7 years and I owe no one any apologys for the care and compensation I receive now, like Colin Powell stated "they broke it, and now they own it"

I hope you find a way to get a GAF score they should do one annually not every time you see them

I don't need it for myself...My VARO fu*ks with vets compensations if they don't have it in their records...if it is not evident or if the #'s rise they think you are better/"cured" and decrease your %!! I am neither "better" and sure as hello not "cured" as there is NO CURE! I don't want to get declared DECEASED or SEVERED COMPENSATION again!!

It is a MAJOR DELEMA HERE!

I don't need a Gaf score to tell me that I'm screwed up, just ask my wife.

Bill

I don't need it for myself...My VARO fu*ks with vets compensations if they don't have it in their records...if it is not evident or if the #'s rise they think you are better/"cured" and decrease your %!! I am neither "better" and sure as hello not "cured" as there is NO CURE! I don't want to get declared DECEASED or SEVERED COMPENSATION again!!

It is a MAJOR DELEMA HERE!

halos,

I know what you are saying. Everytime I have a C&P or any exam I feel that I am going to get screwed. I'm too old to get better.

Bill

Maybe go to a different VAMC that has a psych or see a civilian psych. I d ask before hand if they will write in a GAF.

When I count my blessings I count my family and friends twice.

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Well done is better than well said.