Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Requested With Claim

Rate this question

Dano50

Question

hi,

I recently filed a claim with 3 items on the claim which included 1.Depression, 2.ED and 3. Sleep apnea. The VA has given me two C+P's, one for Ed, and one for depression. Nothing for sleep apnea. This sorta confuses me. Will the VA be able to render an opinion on OSA without the C+P? I had submitted the evidence where my mental health Psyshiatrist requested the sleep study, the interpreting sleep study doctor stated he didnt feel I needed CPAP but my Psychiatrist worked with Pulminologist and got me the CPAP machine. Yes, I am obese but could you state this was part of my mental illness since the Psychiatrist ordered it and wanted me to wear it for better mental health? I guess I'm lost as to if this can be service connected and wouldn't they do a CandP for it or could I have supplied enough information the CandP wasnt needed? I would appreciate any feedback you can give me on this short blurb.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
hi,

I recently filed a claim with 3 items on the claim which included 1.Depression, 2.ED and 3. Sleep apnea. The VA has given me two C+P's, one for Ed, and one for depression. Nothing for sleep apnea. This sorta confuses me. Will the VA be able to render an opinion on OSA without the C+P? I had submitted the evidence where my mental health Psyshiatrist requested the sleep study, the interpreting sleep study doctor stated he didnt feel I needed CPAP but my Psychiatrist worked with Pulminologist and got me the CPAP machine. Yes, I am obese but could you state this was part of my mental illness since the Psychiatrist ordered it and wanted me to wear it for better mental health? I guess I'm lost as to if this can be service connected and wouldn't they do a CandP for it or could I have supplied enough information the CandP wasnt needed? I would appreciate any feedback you can give me on this short blurb.

Dano,

Have they done an actual sleep study yet?

I am looking into getting SC for sleep apnea, secondary to my SC sinus problems. I discussed my sleeping problems with my VA primary care doc. I explained that I felt my sinus problems are preventing me from getting a decent night of sleep. He gave me a referral for a sleep study. I got a questionnaire in the mail and also a date to attend a sleep education something-type class. Instead of mailing the packet, I am just going to take it in with me when I go. I got the ball rolling with my stuff, but am waiting to see how it turns out.

That is just my experiences so far. Some of the other nice folks here might be able to provide their experiences and recommendations for you.

Dano what is the 50% SC you get now for?

There is always potential to claim as direct SC as well as secondary to something that is already SCed.

Obesity can often be due to SC meds, or depression etc- many things.

The VA rates certain eating disorders.

we need more info on what the 50% is for.

§3.326 Examinations.

b. Provided that it is otherwise adequate for rating purposes, any hospital report, or any examination report, from any government or private institution may be accepted for rating a claim without further examination. However, monetary benefits to a former prisoner of war will not be denied unless the claimant has been offered a complete physical examination conducted at a Department of Veterans Affairs hospital or outpatient clinic.

Hope this helps.

Edited by kw34

Dano what is the 50% SC you get now for?

There is always potential to claim as direct SC as well as secondary to something that is already SCed.

Obesity can often be due to SC meds, or depression etc- many things.

The VA rates certain eating disorders.

we need more info on what the 50% is for.

50percent for Mental Schizophrenia reaction undifferentiated. They bundle everything under this heading for me including bi-polar and depression. Thanks for the info.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Berta's right. Some psychotropic medication can cause weight gain, which can place you at risk for OSA. Check out these two articles, for starters:

http://www.websciences.org/cftemplate/NAPS...cfm?ID=19979354

http://www.psychiatrymmc.com/displayArticl...leID=article215

Dano- are you presently employed?

Do you receive SSA disability- and if so is it for the undifferentiated schizophrenic reaction?

Do you have a vet rep and if so have they suggested you apply for TDIU?