Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Lost My Records!

Rate this question

foleyj

Question

Just wanted to know if anyone has had this happen to them and what were they able to do about it. I have open claims that have been ongoing for a year and when I try and inquire about them through my VSO or calling and emailing I have been informed that they can not find one of the volumes of my records. How does this happen? So basically all the paperwork and doctors statements that I sent in with my claim are now gone.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
Just wanted to know if anyone has had this happen to them and what were they able to do about it. I have open claims that have been ongoing for a year and when I try and inquire about them through my VSO or calling and emailing I have been informed that they can not find one of the volumes of my records. How does this happen? So basically all the paperwork and doctors statements that I sent in with my claim are now gone.

When I filed in 1995, I was quickly rejected because the VA said I submitted nothing. My VSO dug around and found that they simply rubber stamped an empty claims folder and said it contained no evidence. How convenient. After two appeals, two C&P exams, and five years later, I finally won.

Did you happen to keep a copy of everything you sent them?

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

foleyj,

This is probably a daily occurence at one of the many Regional

Offices throughout the USA.

If I was close enough to my RO I would hand carry, submit and get date stamped copies of this information.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

This is why many Veterans are so angry. The VA shreds documents, and then gives amnesty, or even promotes VA employees who do this. A congressional inquiry into the matter did no good, the VA simply promised not to do it any more and then proceeded to do the same old thing.

http://www.vawatchdog.org/VAshredderscandal.htm

• HadIt.com Elder

It happens because the VA loses stuff. A recent copy of my VA file shows that some of the older claim apps and the VA denials are not in the current copy. Naturally the missing records are those most convenient for the VA, since they show denials that were based on arbitrary decisions to deny, rather than a complete look at the submitted military treatment records, timely filing of claims, and Title 38. The fight continues. (Atlanta VARO if anyone is interested)

Look I run into this again and again and again....

I tell all the vets I counsel... send in at LEAST two copies, on TWO colors of paper. If you get one back with a letter saying they already have it... then your golden.

Yep, to all you all who want to say this is why there is such a backlog... well yeah it is to some extent, but I'd rather have the backlog and vets getting claims thru, than no backlog and vets losing claims due to "lost" or mysteriously missing evidence.

If the system wasn't broke we wouldn't have to go to these silly extremes to get stuff in our C-file. Further I also reccomend that a veteran GO to their VARO and add the records in person. Do this first if possible, but if you cannot, if the VARO is 500 miles away... well mail at least two copies, and make sure you keep copies. Wait 120 days and then send another... until you get a set back. With the different colored paper you can tell which set actually made it to them. I average the 2nd or 3rd attempt - but almost always the first attempt in person at the VARO - so thats definatly the way to go if you can.

Bob Smith

Bob Smith