Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Lost My Records!

Rate this question

foleyj

Question

Just wanted to know if anyone has had this happen to them and what were they able to do about it. I have open claims that have been ongoing for a year and when I try and inquire about them through my VSO or calling and emailing I have been informed that they can not find one of the volumes of my records. How does this happen? So basically all the paperwork and doctors statements that I sent in with my claim are now gone.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Just wanted to know if anyone has had this happen to them and what were they able to do about it. I have open claims that have been ongoing for a year and when I try and inquire about them through my VSO or calling and emailing I have been informed that they can not find one of the volumes of my records. How does this happen? So basically all the paperwork and doctors statements that I sent in with my claim are now gone.

That is what happened to me I requested my medical records where I was in the infirmary and they can not produce them I am at a loss!!! I can't claim my claim without them I sure someone knows the answer HELP in the Navy in California!! Beau.

That is what happened to me I requested my medical records where I was in the infirmary and they can not produce them I am at a loss!!! I can't claim my claim without them I sure someone knows the answer HELP in the Navy in California!! Beau.

Loma,

You will probably get more answers if you start a new topic.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder
Look I run into this again and again and again....

I tell all the vets I counsel... send in at LEAST two copies, on TWO colors of paper. If you get one back with a letter saying they already have it... then your golden.

Yep, to all you all who want to say this is why there is such a backlog... well yeah it is to some extent, but I'd rather have the backlog and vets getting claims thru, than no backlog and vets losing claims due to "lost" or mysteriously missing evidence.

If the system wasn't broke we wouldn't have to go to these silly extremes to get stuff in our C-file. Further I also reccomend that a veteran GO to their VARO and add the records in person. Do this first if possible, but if you cannot, if the VARO is 500 miles away... well mail at least two copies, and make sure you keep copies. Wait 120 days and then send another... until you get a set back. With the different colored paper you can tell which set actually made it to them. I average the 2nd or 3rd attempt - but almost always the first attempt in person at the VARO - so thats definatly the way to go if you can.

Bob Smith

Why don't you just FAX your stuff to them?

Loma,

You will probably get more answers if you start a new topic.

carlie

carlie your right i will do that

One good reason to have a vet rep on your POA is that they keep a file of copies of everything they are aware of that you sent to the VA.

I always sent my rep copies of anything I sent to the VA.

I have VA stuff saved in my PC, also on 3 1/2s and then of course in manila folders.

My former POA still has copies of my evidence in their file on me and I also have over 75 USPS Priority tracking slips that were generated by my AO death claim's evidence.53 submissions that the RO never acknowledged and other stuff that happened since my BVA award.At least 75 USPS proof of mailings and some copies of faxes too.

The VA is only too happy to state that no evidence was sent in by the veteran- and they would be even happier if the veteran cannot produce copies or proof of mailing of what they sent in.

Edited by Berta

The VA has "lost" so many documents at so many RO's through so many years, that "losing" a Veterans documents can not be just a coincidence. I dont think this many documents could be lost if the Va published a fast letter saying that all new claims are to be immediately placed where they could not be located.