Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependents Educational Assistance Program

Rate this question

Fire Courage

Question

I recieved a letter from the VA today stating, "We are writing you as the parent or guardian of a boy or girl who my be eligible for Educational Assistance under laws administered by the Veterans Administration."

It also came with VA Pamphlet 22-73-3, Revised.

Anybody else get this? Did it go out to every vet? I researched it and the eligibilty below doesn't apply to me. I'm a bit confused here.

Eligibility

You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

• A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A servicemember missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A servicemember forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A servicemember who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
I recieved a letter from the VA today stating, "We are writing you as the parent or guardian of a boy or girl who my be eligible for Educational Assistance under laws administered by the Veterans Administration."

It also came with VA Pamphlet 22-73-3, Revised.

Anybody else get this? Did it go out to every vet? I researched it and the eligibilty below doesn't apply to me. I'm a bit confused here.

Eligibility

You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

• A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A servicemember missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A servicemember forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A servicemember who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.

they sent me one once when I got my 50% award which made me think whenit fell out of the envelope that they had granted me 100% P&T but it was just a mistake and pizzed me off..... they shoved the wrong pamphlet in your envelope be happy you didn't get someone else's award letter I had one stuck in one of my award letters once I sent it back to them and said oops this ain't mine.....

they sent me one once when I got my 50% award which made me think whenit fell out of the envelope that they had granted me 100% P&T but it was just a mistake and pizzed me off..... they shoved the wrong pamphlet in your envelope be happy you didn't get someone else's award letter I had one stuck in one of my award letters once I sent it back to them and said oops this ain't mine.....

:rolleyes: I thought the same thing when I got it! I was thinking maybe they gave me 100%. Kind of strange though because it has my name, address, and file number on it. Darn VA! Getting me all excited for nothing!

• HadIt.com Elder
:rolleyes: I thought the same thing when I got it! I was thinking maybe they gave me 100%. Kind of strange though because it has my name, address, and file number on it. Darn VA! Getting me all excited for nothing!

DO YOU HAVE A CLAIM IN THE WORKS?

IF so, then have I ever got NEWS FOR YOU!!!

I wouldn't put much into this.

It all depends on your award letter. They usually send the Chapter 35 DEA apps right along with the award letter when 100% P & T is awarded.

I received the Chap 35 application with my award letter for 100% P&T. It really doesn't make sense to me that they would just send out the VA pamphlet, but then again, it's the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder
I wouldn't put much into this.

It all depends on your award letter. They usually send the Chapter 35 DEA apps right along with the award letter when 100% P & T is awarded.

Berta,

I received my award letter on Friday..............my chap 35 stuff on Monday. Who knows? It's, after all, the VA.