Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Freezing And Denied

Rate this question

Michellee

Question

Hey all,

Well that was pretty quick of a decision letter. I just had my SSD doc appointment on the 4th and the letter is dated the 10. It took them six days to deny me. I just dont understand that they say I am not disable enough not to work a job out there of some sort. I guess it would be ok by them to drink and drive as well. I mean its like they are saying regardless that I am on narcotics and taking psych meds that alter my consciousness that I should get in my car and drive off to work. The VA says I am unemployable and they say go to work. I am so upset right now and the darn furnace went out for good. The heating guy says the coil has rusted out and some other problems and it cant be patched up that we need a new furnace. So my husband and daughter have been burning wood in the fireplace to keep us some what warm but I am freezing at the moment and upset. We just cant afford a brand new or used furnace this winter. We will probally have to buy some heaters and burn wood. This is such a slap in the face with SSD I know its not uncommon to have them deny deny deny, but its still just seems so wrong. I will definetely put in an appeal for reconsideration. I wonder what additional info I could give them and how to I ask them to look at the additional info. I havent worked in a few years and I am in a wheelchair most of the day and have alot of spasm, pain, lack of concentration, depression, anxiety, so I guess according to the SSDI none of that means a grain of salt to them just go find work and pop my pills on the way. ;)

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This is for Michelle. I am a HVAC License holder and a veteran. I have never heard of anyone not being able to use the furnace because of the Coil, now the heat exchanger is another story. Sounds to me like a sneeky snake in the woods trying to make a sale. I would definitely seek another HVAC company. A good HVAC company will come to your house for free and give you a new system estimate for free. How old is your furnace? I live in the Atlanta area and am willing to help out a disabled vet if possible.

Welcome to Hadit! :)

Larry,

Thanks! It sounds like I have to look into getting some of those little insulation foam do-dads for the outlets and switch plates. It was around zero here a couple of days, and those days sure let you know where the cold comes into the house. So I need to do something with my doors (besides hang a blanket over them).

Michelle,

I am not sure what kind of electric heaters you are using, but I would be concerned about the plugs getting hot. I like the little oil filled radiators. I have a few of those and they keep my house pretty nice without even having to turn them on high, except on the zero kind of days. I would rather run several on lower heat than to have one or two cranked up to high all the time.

This year I also have a portable furnace to go along with them, but it hardly kicks on at all until it gets pretty cold outside. It did run quite a bit when it got down to zero.

Free