Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Treasury Offset Program

Rate this question

Domepeace

Question

The taxman commeth! Many of you will be filing your taxes this year and will be in for a "rude" awakening when some, if not all of your tax return is "taken" from you through the Treasury Offset Program.

Some of you have recently separated from the United States Armed forces and currently still hold a (charged-off/delinquent) balance with AAFES (back child-support as well). If you have not paid AAFES in full by the time your tax "return" arrives to you via direct deposit or check, you can look forward to having your money "taken" from you via the Treasury Offset Program (provided, you are not making regulary monthly payments to AAFES). I'm just referring to agencies that are participating in the TOP program.

I would bet that some of you have paid this debt off but, will be stripped of your money for whatever reason (AAFES mistakenly not reporting that you paid it). I would like to provide two websites that may assist you in learnig about the Treasury Offset Program:

Treasury Offset Program

Reduction of tax refund by amount of debt

I hope this helps people that are or will be affected by this.

Domepeace!!!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
Yes, and I will add that the VA will burn Veterans who cant afford Copayments on prescriptions by deducting it from their tax refund check also.

Bronco,

For those of us that cannot afford their co-pays on prescriptions, you should definitely visit with the "healthcare cost re-covery team" at your VA Medical Center.

They helped me through some rough times, and I recommend them to those who are still suffering and still waiting and still need and deserve help.

All ya gotta do is walk in and talk with them (they will usually have an office "off-the-beaten-path" in some obscure part of the VAMC).

Obviously, if you owe Uncle, Uncle gonna get his first.......before he "gives" you, yours.

And, rightfully, if you owe child-support, that will be taken from your tax refund.........any, you should be GLAD that they do this....instead of the alternative.

just sayin'