Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Success!

Rate this topic

Doc John

I applied for an increase in compensation for PTSD, and a service connection for tinnitus on 8/12/2009.

I had a C&P exam on December 1 for the PTSD.

Today is January 4, 2010; 19 weeks after the initial application and four weeks after the C&P exam, Praise God, I got an increase from 30% to 70% for PTSD but a denial of compensation for tinnitus and hearing loss in both ears. (However, I am waiting for my brand new hearing aids to come in at the VA Med Ctr on January 22.)

Along with the award is a proposed finding of incompetency.

The VA also gave me a Form 21-8940 to use to apply for another increase -based on unemployability. What do you folks think I should do about applying for individual unemployability? I am attending college classes 1/2 time on Chapter 31 Benefits. My vocational rehab counselor just asked for VA to pay me at full time student rate for school based on my PTSD impairment symptoms, even though I am a less than full time attendee. School is very difficult for me.

And, now, I am wondering if my Vocational Rehab benefits will keep me from being classified as unemployable?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go ahead and file the claim. Just because you have the education doesn't mean that you can physically meet the requirements of a demanding job. IMHO, I don't think it's against the law in the U.S. to further your education.

Jeff

If this was a "common sense" world I would think they would grant you IU in the light they have declared you "incompetent."

If you're incompetent you obviously can't work but then again you are going to school so this one's up in the air. I think you have a great opportunity for IU even with the school.

In the light you do get disqualified from Voc Rehab make sure the VA knows this with a letter from your Voc Rehab counselor or you can use the voc rehab denial letter too.

Congrats on your increase and a fast decision.

Jerr

I applied for an increase in compensation for PTSD, and a service connection for tinnitus on 8/12/2009.

I had a C&P exam on December 1 for the PTSD.

Today is January 4, 2010; 19 weeks after the initial application and four weeks after the C&P exam, Praise God, I got an increase from 30% to 70% for PTSD but a denial of compensation for tinnitus and hearing loss in both ears. (However, I am waiting for my brand new hearing aids to come in at the VA Med Ctr on January 22.)

Along with the award is a proposed finding of incompetency.

The VA also gave me a Form 21-8940 to use to apply for another increase -based on unemployability. What do you folks think I should do about applying for individual unemployability? I am attending college classes 1/2 time on Chapter 31 Benefits. My vocational rehab counselor just asked for VA to pay me at full time student rate for school based on my PTSD impairment symptoms, even though I am a less than full time attendee. School is very difficult for me.

And, now, I am wondering if my Vocational Rehab benefits will keep me from being classified as unemployable?

Yeah, the "common sense" thing always seems to be an issue with VA but, at least the increase in compensation came quickly this time. I was amazed.

I think I will attempt the unemployability rating. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If my name was Alice, I might think I was in Wonderland.

Edited by Doc John

• HadIt.com Elder
Ask them to grant to the effective date of 70%

Pete, I do not, anymore, know whether that "will fly" or not.

The absolute soonest that he can get that damned 21-8940 turned in, the better! 'Cause you KNOW what they are gonna say, they gonna say "the latest of whichever date, and the "whichever date" is gonna be the date that they get his darned 21-8940! Ain't right, but, hey.........who's rules we gotta "play" by, ya know?

HECK, I've even got an NOD on my EED "in-the-works"!

LarryJ

214-742-8387, ext. 71117, I'll be there, tomorrow, call me if you feel lakit!

Edited by LarryJ

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use