Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Desperate To Know What Can I Do?

Rate this question

dittybopper

Question

Hey all a desperate plea for help. My current job has aggrevated my disability from the Veterans Administration. I am currently at 40% and have been told without surgery on my knees I cannot continue in my job. My knees are at 10% each for Retropallete Femoral syndrome with pain. My hips were added in Aug 2009 as per pain etc..... My back showed arthritis which the VA claimed was not a issue of theirs and stated my ankles were due to weight but I had medical records showing that it was in ralation to my knees. This was apparently ignored. The issue is I work as a mail man. My knees are preventing me from working and according to my Ortho Doctor need surgery. I have not worked since Sept 9 2009. I have filed a workman's comp claim (aggrevation to existing condition and am awaiting word on this case. However my C and P clearly states that even with the surgery due to the arthtitis in my back there would be "A significant impact on my ability to perform my job" So as you see I am stuck between workman's comp and the VA. I am getting close to losing my home due to no income and need some guidance on if I can go through the VA for help in either retraining or something to get income flowing again before I am out on the street. Any help would be appreciated. I apologize if I am in the wrong post for this.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

This is and example of something I would do NOW in your situation.

Claim for increase and TDIU.

My current job has aggravated my disability for knees and back. My back shows arthritis and I have medical records showing that it was in ralation to my knees. (See medical record) The issue is I work as a mail man. My knees are preventing me from working and according to my Ortho Doctor need surgery. I have not been able to work since Sept 9 2009. I have filed a workman's comp claim and am awaiting word on this case. However, my C and P clearly states that even with the surgery due to the arthtitis in my back there would be "A significant impact on my ability to perform my job" I am getting close to losing my home due to no income.

List of evidence in support for my claim.

3........etc

I sincerely respect that a correct and fair decision will be decided in my case.

Sincerely,

Edited by jerrbilly

Carly has a point. Take that out since the VA could come back and say that your disabled from something that happened on the job, instead of your claimed conditions.

Jerr

I feel that stating,

"I have filed a workman's comp claim and am awaiting word on this case."

just killed the VA claim.

jmho,

carlie

Edited by jerrbilly

The answer to what VA will do "now" alas, is nothing. But there are things you need to do. file for an increase. You limp don't you? that's altered gait. Altered gait causes damage to other connected parts of the system. I acquired flat feet and a sprained ankle in service. I am now rated 80% & IU (Individual Unemployability) which compensates me at 100%. It took nearly 5 years filed with Financial hardship. I haven't worked since 2004.

I did manage to hang onto my house but only just. Others were not so fortunate. I had to file for bankruptcy. You might consider that depending on your debt status. For the rest, and this is hell, believe me, you're probably gonna have to beg.

I AM NOT being a smart ass! It's what we had to do. Get food stamps. That way you and (if applicable) your family is fed. My wife fed a family of 5 on food stamps and only rarely spent a dollar on food stuffs.

Ask for loans from friends & family. Talk to your church officials. There are community assistance programs. it doesn't feel good, but this is about survival.

There's more but I just had an emergency. For helpful evidence, look at this topic, I posted a list of things that helped my case. http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33850

Briefly, Workman's comp & VA are separate issues, keep them separate and get a supportive IMO ASAP!

Later...

Edited by Jayg

Dittybopper

Man..I hear ya. I lost my home waiting on VA. Its better now...after a 7 year wait, I got my benefits, but only back 2 years when I applied 7 years ago. I am appealing the effective date.

The good news is that even tho I lost my home, it was not the end of the world. In fact, I am doing much better now than before, that is, financially.

If you dont have a household income, apply for NSC pension..its about double what 40% SC is. My doc explained that to me. Drawing NSC Pension does not seem to interfere if you are applying for other SC benefits, such as an increase.

If you think you are not working due to SC conditions, by all means apply ALSO for TDIU. Have your doc document it. If surgery will fix your knees, and you can work, go for the surgery, and then go back to work....you dont want to be on TDIU unless you have to be.

If you arent making your house payments contact your lender and tell em why and ask for some of that help people have been talking about. Dont be proud..pride goeth before a fall. Also, if you need it (and I have no idea of whether you do or do not) get mental health help too. Economic stress definately wears on your mental health and loosing your home worsens it. If you have to, apply for those HUD apartments in your area.

Finally, "hunker down" for a pretty long wait..if it happens in 6 months, you can be happy.