Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Shredding Veterans Documents Continues At Roanoke

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Once again Veterans documents were in the shredder bin at Roanoke. This is AFTER fast letter 08-41 expired so that Veteran victims have no recourse against the VA. No "special handling" will be allowed as this Veteran's documents were shredded outside of the Apr 07-Oct 08 limiting dates the fast letter specifies.

The VAOIG did not even put this incident in the highlights of the report, but rather buried it in the body where it would not be noticed except by those who read the whole report. Obviously, whether or not Veterans claims are shredded is not important enough to include it in the highlights of the inspection, and the VAOIG made no references that anything was to be done about it, except to blame a "careless employee". (Gee, I wonder who hired 'careless employees'?)

I thought the VA had "put controls into place" to prevent future shredding incidents. These were either not in place in Roanoke, or they were ineffective at preventing shredding from continuing.

You have to read the VAOIG's report, Larry Scott, also, did not even mention the shredding.

http://www.vawatchdog.org/10/nf10/nfjan10/nf011510-4.htm

The VA website lists what the VA is doing to prevent shredding...it did not work.

http://www.vba.va.gov/vba/specialprocedures_qa.asp

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

The solution is simple. Do away with the so called incentive "bonuses". This bonus is paid for shredding and or losing VA Claims folder----there is no accountability, just lose or shred the claims file. The federal govt just learned a valuable lesson with our tax money by bailing out these banks---the CEO's and other high ranking bank officials used the money to fund their bonuses. That is correct---they (bankers) got their bonus for failure. Now, Obama is trying to go after them. KNOCK OFF the VARO bonus. May be the VA Claim's will pile up, but there would be less incentive to SHRED. Pay the employees overtime, shred the BONUS. Rewarding people for failure---just does not work. We have seen it with the Banks and the VA. Am I missing something (?) or do I understand correctly: bonus is (should be) paid for going above and beyond average normal production expected of an employee. VA fast letter? It should be called a VA "farce" letter. The VA Central Office tries to correct the problem with a band aid---but it needs a full battle dressing.

I'm shredding right now but "don't worry" it's not your file.

Shredding is great security and I do it regularily. I have a cross-cut shredder.

jerr

Once again Veterans documents were in the shredder bin at Roanoke. This is AFTER fast letter 08-41 expired so that Veteran victims have no recourse against the VA. No "special handling" will be allowed as this Veteran's documents were shredded outside of the Apr 07-Oct 08 limiting dates the fast letter specifies.

The VAOIG did not even put this incident in the highlights of the report, but rather buried it in the body where it would not be noticed except by those who read the whole report. Obviously, whether or not Veterans claims are shredded is not important enough to include it in the highlights of the inspection, and the VAOIG made no references that anything was to be done about it, except to blame a "careless employee". (Gee, I wonder who hired 'careless employees'?)

I thought the VA had "put controls into place" to prevent future shredding incidents. These were either not in place in Roanoke, or they were ineffective at preventing shredding from continuing.

You have to read the VAOIG's report, Larry Scott, also, did not even mention the shredding.

http://www.vawatchdog.org/10/nf10/nfjan10/nf011510-4.htm

The VA website lists what the VA is doing to prevent shredding...it did not work.

http://www.vba.va.gov/vba/specialprocedures_qa.asp

Edited by jerrbilly

Of course, VMO is right, and that is precisely why many Veterans are so upset. WE have a million Veterans backlog on claims, with zero backlog of VA executive bonus backlog. If I had my way, VA executives would wait ten years on their bonus check, while Veterans would get theirs is 2 weeks, instead of the other way around like it is now.

The shredding is ridiculous....as is the incentive bonuses.....It is quite simple the incentive bonus should be "do the work or lose your job", surely that should be enough of an incentive. If you are not meeting the quota you should be disciplined. I mean what the hell IS GOING ON?????

Why is the VA giving people monetary bonuses to do their jobs properly and there are veterans who are homeless waiting for their benefits to be approved! I always thought the Vet was the Priority, and that is why the VA was created. Apparently they have lost some serious focus.

The focus seems to be, keep the employees happy and that's about it!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....