VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vet Friendly Doctor Anxious To Help

Rate this question

Jayg

Question

I have got the go ahead to release his info.

his name is Dr. William Kalichman. He maintains regular practice and can only take one or two people at a time for review and IMO.

You can email him at-... maule@owt.com

What I did was mail him copies of my smrs, civilian medical records, entire claim file, x-rays- everything I thought he could use to determine my case. Things he cited from every segment of that pile clearly demonstrated that he had thoroughly examined every facet of my case...

From here, all arrangements are between the applicant and him. I do not have any connection with any further proceedings and I do not make any profit from this. He helped me, a few vets from his practice and appalled at the injustice desires to help others. That's all I want out of it too. To help other vets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The doctor who wrote my IMO is definitely vet friendly and eager to help. I know him as a fellow moderator on another site we share. That's what prompted me to ask him if he'd he me. Here's a comment from a PM he just sent me... "I just won another case with a Korean War Vet. The bittersweet part is that he is very old and sick and may not live to reap the benefits, but his family will.

Let me know if you know anyone else that can use my services."

I can say, he'll need some help perfecting his delivery to VA- my IMO got bad marks when posted here but it won me my IU in any case. He is also well aware of the "At least as likely as not" rule. He read and cited my medical history, my service medical records, X-rays, and resourced and cited studies that did demonstrate the otherwise tenuous connection between arthritis with old injuries. He got opinions from others more expert at reading those X-rays than he is and cited their consultation. In other words, he didn't just lightly skim my stuff and just pencil whip an opinion, he was thorough.

His background or fields he can help in? - PTSD or Psych won't be one unfortunately. Some comments on his background from 'My Doc.':

"My specialty is internal medicine and aviation medicine. One of the hats I wear is that I do pilot physicals for the FAA. I am also a pilot. In addition, I am the Medical Director of the hyperbaric oxygen and wound treatment center at ---- Medical Center.

For what it's worth my college and medical school degrees are from Rutgers University in New Jersey. I did my residency and chief residency in internal medicine at Yale University in Connecticut. And then I was working at the Palo Alto medical clinic and on staff at Stanford University.

The resume goes on. My credentials would likely carry some weight with the VA. I should mention that when I did medical testimony, the lawyer that hired me only lost one case, and that one had nothing to do with the medical aspect of the situation.

Right now, I'm being trained in surgical and hyperbaric wound management. I'm being 'promoted' to Medical Director of the wound clinic of my local hospital, and they are shipping me out for additional training.

His earliest medical training...

1984-1990: Emergency Medical Technician and Paramedic working for various ambulance squads in New Jersey, both for pay and volunteer.

1990-1994: Medical Resident, Yale University School of Medicine, Norwalk Hospital, and Norwalk, Connecticut.

1993-1994: Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, Norwalk Hospital, Norwalk, Connecticut.

1994: Emergency Department Staff Physician, Yale University Hospital, New Haven, Connecticut.

So you can see he has the background and experience to be listened to by any VA raters who will acknowledge an outside IMO. But again, as I said, he'll need a little hand holding till we get him trained in perfecting the VA acceptable IMO.

I have his complete curia-vitae (sp?) but will with hold that until cleared by Hadit moderators. I also will withhold contact info on that same count also until directly cleared by the doc to do so. He asked if I knew anybody else that needed help. I don't know that he meant a forum full of us. :(

His fees? I don't know, you'll have to talk that over with him. He'll charge for his worth but I do not believe he will gouge anybody. (or I wouldn't be posting this here at all.) I have 'known' this fellow (at least as far as internet allows) for a few years. He seems a very decent, caring, and Christian gentleman for those as what that counts for. He will not just write up something for cases that don't merit them either, so don't look for that. But we can expect every benefit of doubt.

Edited by Jayg

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

A doctor like this could help many vets if he just reviewed a disabled vets papers and write up what he feels the vet should apply for from a medical point of view.

I know of no one the VA gives us for that other than our regular care doctors and the VA really frowns on them writing letters. I have asked many times. If someone would even do that would be great.

Case in point I am anemic and I have IHD heart disease with stents and old MF my cardio doc wants to know the cause of my anemia. Which is dangerous for a heart patient my PCP at the VA says they don't know? Huh? Now if I could send him all my papers and he could say what caused it and back it up with rationale that would be fantastic. Not to mention take some stress off of me!

I still haven't heard from T-Bird on this one. I would think for now, passing the info through PM would be the best thing by far. Let me see just how doc wants to handle this, I don't know how many he is able to handle at a time. (I didn't mention I was going to put it to y'all here. I'll get back to y'all soon.

Again, the Dr. doesn't live in Texas. It was a mail order deal. See my description below.

I COULD NOT HELP BUT TO READ THIS TOPIC, I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY VETERANS ARE PAYING SO MUCH MONEY TO A DOCTOR TO SEE THERE MEDICAL RECORDS AND GET AN IMO WHEN I FEEL THAT IF YOU HAVE A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR DOCTOR HE OR SHE WOULD BE ABLE TO WRITE AN IMO FOR YOU AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU.I CAN UNDERSTAND TRYING TO GET A CONDITION SERVICE CONNECTED BUT SOMETIMES THE VA DOES NOT TAKE IMO INTO CONSIDERATION ESPECIALLY IF IT IS NOT COMING FROM THERE DOCTOR.IM NOT TRYING TO PUT NOBODY DOWN BUT I HATE TO SEE VETERANS WASTE THERE MONEY FOR AN IMO AND NOT GET SERVICE CONNECTED FOR THE CLAIM THEY ARE CLAMING.

I still haven't heard from T-Bird on this one. I would think for now, passing the info through PM would be the best thing by far. Let me see just how doc wants to handle this, I don't know how many he is able to handle at a time. (I didn't mention I was going to put it to y'all here. I'll get back to y'all soon.

Again, the Dr. doesn't live in Texas. It was a mail order deal. See my description below.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY VETERANS ARE PAYING SO MUCH MONEY TO A DOCTOR TO SEE THERE MEDICAL RECORDS AND GET AN IMO WHEN I FEEL THAT IF YOU HAVE A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR DOCTOR HE OR SHE WOULD BE ABLE TO WRITE AN IMO FOR YOU AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU.

In my case, "My doctor" is a VAMC doctor.He's a good doc,cares about his pt's health, but will not go anywhere near writing a medical opinion for us. I talked him into putting a comment in my records- "Flat feet which may cause low back and knee problems" is as far as he would go. And I can't blame him because shortly thereafter he went on administrative duties for the next several months. :rolleyes:

The "docs" thatwrite for the C&P department- at Shreveport's Overton Brooks VAMC are a pack of Lying so & so's. :rolleyes: They blatantly falsified a few C&P exams of mine. Just check some of my back topics for this past year for details.

Getting that outside imo is the reason, likely the only reason, I got my rating.

It should not be this way, you're right. But for some of us, anyway, it absolutely is. :angry:

Edited by Jayg

• Founder

you can post a link to his website or email address, but no ads. and by posting a link does not mean that hadit.com endorses or verifies anything about the external link.

In my case, "My doctor" is a VAMC doctor.He's a good doc,cares about his pt's health, but will not go anywhere near writing a medical opinion for us. I talked him into putting a comment in my records- "Flat feet which may cause low back and knee problems" is as far as he would go. And I can't blame him because shortly thereafter he went on administrative duties for the next several months. :rolleyes:

The "docs" thatwrite for the C&P department- at Shreveport's Overton Brooks VAMC are a pack of Lying so & so's. :rolleyes: They blatantly falsified a few C&P exams of mine. Just check some of my back topics for this past year for details.

Getting that outside imo is the reason, likely the only reason, I got my rating.

It should not be this way, you're right. But for some of us, anyway, it absolutely is. :angry:

wouldn't it be great if the VA spent half the effort they use to deny us into helping us get our just benefits. Am I wrong or does it seem the congress and Secretary give an the VA pencil pushers take it away??

Edited by stillhere