Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

After An Award Is Made...

Rate this question

akwidow

Question

Simple question here -

DIC for service connection for cause of death is my recent award.

Can they (VA at any station) take that away from me because I file a cue or two on erroneous denials my late husband received when he was still alive?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for all that work, Berta...I have studied the DIC regs and I remember some of the benefits. I am not re-married, and don't worry about that issue. I will take advantage of the education benefits - and the champus of course. It will be the first time I have ever had steady medical. I have record of his burial, and will be sending off that bill to be paid.

There is a little more here as to the Substitution of claimants-

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfmay09/nf052609-1.htm

There are deadlines to ask for substitution and the claims had to be open or pending at time of the veteran's death.

The most important date in this substitution issue reg. is that it does not take effect until after death of veteran who died on or after October 10, 2008.

So consequently, this regulation does not apply to my situation since my vet died in 2004.

I will fight my/his battles, win or lose. They cheated him out of valid compensation when they denied him so many times.

BTW, when I addressed the old denials, I asked them to cue themselves.....not a CUE by me. I believe this is a different legality?

AkWidow

• HadIt.com Elder
There is a little more here as to the Substitution of claimants-

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfmay09/nf052609-1.htm

There are deadlines to ask for substitution and the claims had to be open or pending at time of the veteran's death.

I have a sincere question:

I have a couple, friends of ours, Mormons or Latter Day Saints, or whatever...........they kinda changed from being called Mormons, for some reason.

Anywho, we were visiting a couple weeks ago and we were talking about how the Mormons used to have believe in "plural" marriages, and, of course, it was pointed out to me that "they" (meaning the mainstream Mormons, I suppose) do not hold to that belief anymore, but that there are "sects" of Mormons that still hold to plural marriages (funny how that always works out where the HUSBAND has more than ONE wife, and never how the WIFE has more than ONE husband.......but, I digress).

What would that amount to, as far as DIC is concerned?

I know, I know, I have WAY too much time on my hands, but, expiring minds like mine want to know.

Larry..

Yes, you do have way too much time on your hands. Lol. Our laws will only recognize ONE spouse per person at any given time. Period. You are either married to one person or you are not, and you cant be married to multiple people at one time and that is polygamy whether you are a mormon, a sun-worshiper, or Elvis Presley. Only one person can be your spouse at any given time, and if you say that you have multiple wives or husbands, you could be tried for polygamy.

I think you can count on the VA only recognizing ONE spouse, and I dont even recommend you tell the VA about the other 3 spouses, if you have them. There is a legal principal that says that any contract has to have a "lawful purpose" or it cant be enforced.

In other words if you agreed to sell someone 5 grams of cocaine each month at $100 per gram, the law would never enforce such a contract as it does not have a legal purpose. In the same way, the VA would not pay for 3 different spouses at the same time, and I dont think you could claim all 3 on your taxes either.