Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can A Wife Of A Vet File After His Death?

Rate this question

sawgunner

Question

My uncle is a highly educated Veitnam vet who is in very bad shape with cancer. "prostate,colon, and now liver".

As smart as this man is, he is also terrifed of doctors and neddles and the VA.... He flat out refuses to go through the motions of filing a claim with VA.

With certian cancers being linked to service in Nam, can my aunt file a claim after his death?

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes. She has 1 year. It would be better if they filed now though.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

It is one year for retro active benefits. There is no time limit to file for survivors benefits. There is a two year time limit to file for burial benefits if it is not service connected.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

I think you have been given good advice, however, VA has their "weasel clauses" and they are not "Santa clauses"!

Therefore, to protect your Aunt, if she has POA, then she should file her hubbies claim for him. If your uncle hasnt given her POA, then maybe Auntie can get hubbie to sign it..just push a POA form in front of him, and telling him that this gives his wife POA over possible VA benefits in the future, and wont hurt him. JMHO. Maybe he doesnt want benefits for himself, but he probably will be releived thinking "Auntie" is taken care of.

I dont think that would work.

If he can sign a POA form then why not have the spouse instead prepare the claim (I assume this would have to be done on initial 21-526 application for him and just have him sign the application.

I did all my husband's claim work for him.He dictated some of it and some of it was funny-nevertheless the claim was his,not mine and he signed the claims himself.

He had AL and the DAV on his POA.

If VA accepted a POA to a spouse (I dont think they would) this would make it illegal for any rep org POA to help wth the claim unless the original POA is rescinded.

I was involved in 2 very similiar situations.The vets didnt want to file a claim.

Unfortunately in both cases the spouse was not aware of the veteran's actual service information as their DD 214s revealed whch was much different from what the vet told the wife in both cases.

We had a wife here whose husband refused to file a claim-it seemed he had a very valid claim basis as to what she said here.

But if a vet doesnt want to file a claim even when they should- no one can make them do that.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

The claim dies with the veteran. If a claim was already filed then you can file for accrued benefits. Otherwise, the only thing that is availabe is DIC or Pension for the widow. You can not open a new claim even if it is based on a persumptive condition on behave of the veteran.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V