Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Asks Alive Vet For Comp Back

Rate this question

Berta

Question

(From NVO Boards at National Veterans Organization website:

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:15 pm Post subject: Vietnam veteran tries to clear up his "death"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vietnam veteran tries to clear up his "death"

FLORENCE, Ala. - James L. Hogan got some shocking news in the mail last month.

He'd been dead for months, according to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

The department wrote to the Vietnam veteran's "estate" seeking a return of the $23,231 in veteran benefits issued to Hogan since his "death."

"Based on that amount, I figure I must've died sometime around July," said Hogan, who is alive and living in Florence. "I'm still trying to get an answer as to who signed my death certificate."

Although Hogan has kept a sense of humor about the mistake, it's caused plenty of problems. The Veterans Affairs office stopped his benefits. Hogan said he has about $8,000 coming to him.

He's already had to let his home health care worker go, because he couldn't pay her. He also worries about medical bills and paying rent for his apartment.

Hogan contacted U.S. Rep. Bud Cramer's office, setting off a series of calls.

Hogan has been told the mistake has been corrected and to look for a check for what he is owed.

The disabled veteran says his financial situation is dire without the check.

Hogan, who served in Vietnam with the U.S. Navy from 1963-65, received $2,900 a month from the VA office. He paid $600 of that for a home-health worker.

Hogan, who has a prosthetic leg, said he was exposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam. He's had more than 30 procedures to remove skin cancer.

There's also rent for his apartment.

"I guess that's how veterans become homeless," he said.

Meanwhile, Hogan is still trying to find out how he died.

He wrote a letter to the Montgomery VA's office on March 27.

The first sentence stated, "I am not dead."

He asked for a copy of his death certificate and other paperwork about his demise.

He's still waiting.

"I just want everyone to know I did not go hunting with Dick Cheney, and I'm not dead," he said.

Display posts from previous: All Posts1 Day7 Days2 Weeks1 Month3 Months6 Months1 Year Oldest FirstNewest First

The National Veterans Organization of America Forum Index -> Recent Vet News Articles All times are GMT - 7 Hours

Page 1 of 1

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Dont know about that but I think they owe the wife here a lot of DIC!

Isnt this situation ridiculous?

Seriously-There sure are people out there who are jealous of disabled veterans getting comp-(and widows too)

The VA is toughening up on 800# inquiries -asking for more identifying info if you call -because

there are opportunists out there trying to check into the business of veterans.

A vet rep took the time to really check out who I was a week ago-

and he told me it was due to this very reason-even with a c file number they are trying to check out the 800 caller better.

Someone might have actually called the 800 # for spite and told them this vet above was 'dead'and still getting comp or they(VA) somehow got a death certificate and put it into the wrong c file.

A woman here at hadit years ago asked me in email to report her TDIU estranged husband to the VA for working. She was pretty upset wth him getting VA comp.

Of course I wouldn't do anything like that-I was insulted that she asked-

We had a local problem here recently (I live in small community)where someone in law enforcement obtained private records on someone else- a veteran-(with no right to do this) as he was attempting to ruin the guy's reputation. (they were running for a local gov volunteer position)There was nothing in the records that was negative but still what he did was illegal.The town was in an uproar over this violation of privacy.That all backfired and the law enforcement guy was demoted.and of course no one would vote for him anymore.

There are people out there who have such a negative view of disabled vets who get comp (especially if they dont "look" disabled) they will try to take advantage of any situation at all to harm them.

Dont know about that but I think they owe the wife here a lot of DIC!

Isnt this situation ridiculous?

Seriously-There sure are people out there who are jealous of disabled veterans getting comp-(and widows too)

The VA is toughening up on 800# inquiries -asking for more identifying info if you call -because

there are opportunists out there trying to check into the business of veterans.

A vet rep took the time to really check out who I was a week ago-

and he told me it was due to this very reason-even with a c file number they are trying to check out the 800 caller better.

Someone might have actually called the 800 # for spite and told them this vet above was 'dead'and still getting comp or they(VA) somehow got a death certificate and put it into the wrong c file.

A woman here at hadit years ago asked me in email to report her TDIU estranged husband to the VA for working. She was pretty upset wth him getting VA comp.

Of course I wouldn't do anything like that-I was insulted that she asked-

We had a local problem here recently (I live in small community)where someone in law enforcement obtained private records on someone else- a veteran-(with no right to do this) as he was attempting to ruin the guy's reputation. (they were running for a local gov volunteer position)There was nothing in the records that was negative but still what he did was illegal.The town was in an uproar over this violation of privacy.That all backfired and the law enforcement guy was demoted.and of course no one would vote for him anymore.

There are people out there who have such a negative view of disabled vets who get comp (especially if they dont "look" disabled) they will try to take advantage of any situation at all to harm them.

Dear Berta,

It is very sad that you are right. I canot believe the way disabled veterans are portrayed in soceity, but what frightens me more the way we portrayed is in the US Goverment. Evereyone loved the fact when we were there protecting the very freedom that has allowed many in goverment to propser. With this war going on and all the issues that confront the US Goverment they have nothing better else to do then to try and remove some of our benefits (SSD). Thank you again Berta and Terry. God bless you.

Bound4Heaven

• HadIt.com Elder

I want to know how a bank can allow the VA to just take money back out of your account if you have direct deposit? Magoo said long ago to get your money out of the bank where it was direct deposisted because the VA could do this but by what law do they get away with this? By this token any check you pay by direct payment could be reversed and you could get cleaned out.

Long ago I began getting 100% disability checks when I was only 10%. The vets name was the same as mine. I called the VA and told them of their mistake. They ignored me. The checks just kept coming. I wrote the VA and returned a check . They just kept coming. Finally, I just deposited the checks and waited. Eventually the checks stopped. That was the end of it. No explanation no nothing.

John- they used to whip out of the vets bank account his/her last comp amount when they were told the vet had died.Then it would take the survivor years to get it back as part of the processing of the 21-534 application for accrued benefits and /or SC death.

I dont think this reg has changed- can you imagine that-say the vet gets 100% comp check in the bank on the 1st of month- and then he/she dies days after the bills have been paid and they take that comp amount out of the joint account-I can't imagine how many check charges the survivor would have to pay if they get overdrawn.

They took Rod's comp out of our joint account before he even got to the VA cemetery.

No wonder VARO Montgomery will not pay me the required 100 percent for my stroke. They are broke cause they are paying dead veterans!!!!!! hahahahahahaha..... This is by far the worst RO in the system. Health care in Birmingham is pretty good but the RO sucks....... They have something like a 58 percent appeal rate. If you look at the BVA cases by typing in "Montgomery" you will see that over 80 percent of the cases sent to the BVA are remanded for stupid mistakes. Oh well I ain't moving and I know they ain't so I guess I'll just have to wait and wait and wait and wait, till they get their heads out of their A____ before my claim gets approved. I just hope I don't have another stroke and pass on before it gets approved. I would hate for my wife to have to deal with such imcompentent bast_ _ _ _.