Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical Records

Rate this question

ATVer

Question

The V.A. calls today and told me they don't have my medical records from the dates i was in. How do i go about getting them? They're only giving me 10 days before they push the case forward, so without them i'll probably get the shaft!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

They are supposed to help you.

Maybe your VSO could check with St Louis and find out what the deal is.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

How long have you been out?

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Hate to hear that, but it may have a silver lining, just hope for the best!

I'm hoping they won't pull the same thing on me. They recently told me they had "lost" my VA C-file, and asked for me to send them whatever I had. I did have a copy (of course there are things they would not have given me for my copy), so I copied it and sent it to them, only cost me about $25.

But, I've been trying for a long time to get my SMRs, have got nothing but a runaround. How long did it take for them to decide they were "lost"?

This CAN work to your benefit, as I understand it. If they don't have your SMR, you are supposed to get some extra benefit of the doubt, and might get a service connected claim substantiated on some otherwise thin evidence; however, as I understand it, they may someday miraculously find your "lost" file on somebody's desk, and then verify your claims against it.

Good luck!

Same situation with me. I filed my original claim in 2003 and to this day they still haven't found my smr's. I am 70% service connected since I was given the benefit of the doubt on two of my claims.

The V.A. calls today and told me they don't have my medical records from the dates i was in. How do i go about getting them? They're only giving me 10 days before they push the case forward, so without them i'll probably get the shaft!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

In October 2009, I requested copies of my treatment records, military personnel records, and my C-file. I have received everything except the C-file. The VA has ignored several IRIS requests regarding the status.

For what it's worth, the first time I filed a claim in 1995, it immediately came back as denied. I found out that they lost my medical records. Just like acesup, I made them a copy and eventually received my 40% rating.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

As having the benefit of the doubt, i don't want them to shaft me on not having that file, i contacted the marine corps archives and they're sending me my unit info on what they find to show proof of the stressor. And i have Dx for all my claims i filed for from the V.A. And being treated for them. Guess i'll hope for the best.

Supposed to help they are. The phone call was like, "we can't find your smr's from the dates you were in", sounded like i was never in, and after 10 days they'll push the case forward with or without the file. I told them to wait the 10 days before pushing my case through, just to give me some kind of time to look for them. It was my understanding that your branch was to send the files to the archive place or the V.A. ???

How long have you been out?

I was officially out January 12 this year. I'm calling my unit on monday to see if they retired the records or not, more than likely not, knowing how the admin operates. Very well could be my problem, and i'll get them expidited to the RO.