Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trying To Do My Claim But The Va Does Not Have My Records.

Rate this question

Cm Burns

Question

I filed a pension compensation claim for service connected dissability in October. I got a letter from the va saying they do not have my records that are lost. i do not have a copy of them myself but have given them the info from all the civilian doctors I say. I wanted to know if anyone had any reference to people having this situation. Know of anyone with a similar situation that was still rewarded. I am not sure if there is anything else I need to do. Please let me know.

Claim 1 & 2 /w pension Filed 10/23/2009 CnPs- Dec Phase 10/1/2010 Notification 10/12/2010 Closed 10/15/2010

Claim 3 Filed June 23,10 CNPs- Jan 2011 Dec Phase- Mar 2011 Notification- May 2011 Closed My 2011 (CLAIM DENIED)

Claim 4 Filed June 13,11 cnps-Na Dec Phase- Aug 2011 Notification- ...

Voc Rehab Claim Filed July 2011 Orientation-17 Aug 2011 Found Entitled- 17 Aug 2011 Classes paid- 19 Aug 2011 First Stipen Check- ...

***Under Ga VARO from 2009 - Until Present***

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe that it needs to be pointed out that YOU are ultimately responsible for providing ANY and ALL records that support your claim!

The VERY BEST way of doing this is that YOU request them from the various archives (The VA acrhives in St. Louis, the National Personnel Military Personnel Division Archives in St. Louis, the Local Veterans Affairs Regional Office, the Local Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and any branch of the military in which you served). Then, once you have obtained ALL of your records, THEN you file your claim.

All the addresses, with the exception of your Local VARO and VAMC, are listed on one of the three pages of the Standard Form 180 (SF180) that you will need to file with any of the archives holding your records.

DO NOT DEPEND UPON THE GOVERNMENT TO OBTAIN ANY OF YOUR RECORDS!

Edited by LarryJ

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

Hello all thnx for the reply. I was referring to my military medical records. I tried to get them first they said they were lost. Then my reap at the transitional center said I am not support to wait. Said they will have to get the records. Said they have to request them. I did provide all places I have been treated since I have been off active duty. I am also trying to get at least 2 support of claim statements to go with them from a girl who worked in psyc when I was on active duty. I was seen then for depression. Also a friend who was aware of all the Issues I had with my knees back ect. But other than that they said they dont have my records.

Again thnx for any help you can offer. Do you guys know if it will take longer for me to be decisioned due to this.

I am already being seen at the VAMC for my knees, back, depression, ptsd and various other issues which is what I am claiming service connection for. Its already in my va records. I have 3-5 apts every week for these issues. does that help or hurt that I am already being seen for it. I am also being seen for my ptsd related to mst. Please let me know what you guys think.

Claim 1 & 2 /w pension Filed 10/23/2009 CnPs- Dec Phase 10/1/2010 Notification 10/12/2010 Closed 10/15/2010

Claim 3 Filed June 23,10 CNPs- Jan 2011 Dec Phase- Mar 2011 Notification- May 2011 Closed My 2011 (CLAIM DENIED)

Voc Rehab Claim Filed July 2011 Orientation-17 Aug 2011 Found Entitled- 17 Aug 2011 Classes paid- 19 Aug 2011 First Stipen Check- ...

I believe that it needs to be pointed out that YOU are ultimately responsible for providing ANY and ALL records that support your claim!

The VERY BEST way of doing this is that YOU request them from the various archives (The VA acrhives in St. Louis, the National Personnel Military Personnel Division Archives in St. Louis, the Local Veterans Affairs Regional Office, the Local Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and any branch of the military in which you served). Then, once you have obtained ALL of your records, THEN you file your claim.

All the addresses, with the exception of your Local VARO and VAMC, are listed on one of the three pages of the Standard Form 180 (SF180) that you will need to file with any of the archives holding your records.

DO NOT DEPEND UPON THE GOVERNMENT TO OBTAIN ANY OF YOUR RECORDS!

I've called everywhere, and used the National Archives. Still getting the runaround though.

• HadIt.com Elder
I've called everywhere, and used the National Archives. Still getting the runaround though.

Have you, indeed, sent an SF180 to EACH of the places that I tried to point out to you?

If not, then you are simply wasting time.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

Have you, indeed, sent an SF180 to EACH of the places that I tried to point out to you?

If not, then you are simply wasting time.

Yes I requested them from the VA, and the regional office. I am going to go the the last duty station next and the reserve headquarters. i do realize its my job to find them and give them the proof that is why I am trying to ask questions and get info.

Do any of you guys know someone with a similar situation that still got awarded based on their illnesses.

I am already getting medical care at the VA. I am being seen for my diagnosed PTSD, Depression, Bi lateral Knee Degenerative Authritus(?) Same with Back. They have also found that i am slight Scoliosis in my lower back which is where I have a lot of pain. I also have a pinched nerve in my back which causes my leg to go numb. and she thinks I may have disc problems. I also claimed a host of other things. I am curious how it will affect my claim that I am already being treated by the va for these things. I am not working now and its hard for me to find a job because with my back issues i cant sit or stand for a long period of time. any help would be appreciated.